USG discusses dining options, Earth Month at weekly meeting

img-0435
Andrew Somerville / The Daily Princetonian

The Undergraduate Student Government (USG) Senate met on Sunday, Feb. 21 to discuss Campus Dining and sustainability.

USG president Christian Potter ’22 presented on dining updates and ongoing changes to dining policies and menus. Campus Dining is in the process of creating new recipes that will incorporate various plant-based protein options, according to updates from Campus Dining.

This comes after students have expressed disappointment in the repetitive options in dining halls, especially for those with dietary restrictions. A petition requesting “more robust dining options” for students has garnered 335 signatures at the time of publication.

Diversity and equity chair Muskan Effendi ’24 also noted that students have reported issues with halal menu options being incorrectly labeled and served to students.

But over the past week, Effendi said — after working with Dining Services to address these issues and make halal options more accessible to students — she has seen improvement. Halal menu options have expanded, she said, and accuracy of food labeling has improved.

Sustainability chair Mayu Takeuchi ’23 presented her goals for Earth Month, which will be held during April. The USG Senate discussed various programming goals, including plans to reach out to as many campus groups as possible to coordinate events that coincide with sustainability goals.

The USG Senate also unanimously approved the appointment of a new Class of 2023 senator, William Hunt ’23.

“I feel a renewed energy to work on issues like mental health and wellness,” Hunt said. “I feel that ... it is a unique moment in time and an opportunity for our USG to urgently address the issues of racism, classism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, xenophobia, ableism, etc. that exist in our and every other institution.”

USG vice president Ashwin Mahadevan ’22 presented on the incorporation and proposal process of task forces, highlighting that every member of the USG Senate must serve on at least one task force.

This meeting was held on Sunday, Feb. 21 at 8:30 p.m. ET via Zoom.