No. 15 women’s ice hockey splits against St. Lawrence and No. 10 Clarkson

hockey .jpeg
Tigers celebrate their win against St. Lawrence. 
Courtesy of Split2ndPhoto via @PWIH/Twitter. 

The Princeton women’s hockey team (4–4–0 overall, 2–4–0 Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference) went one and one this weekend after playing St. Lawrence (7–9–0, 2–3–0 ECAC) and Clarkson (13–4–1, 3–3–0). Both games were held at home, in Hobey Baker Rink.

Princeton came out strong in their first game of the weekend against the St. Lawrence Saints. Two minutes into the first period, the Tigers had the opportunity to score on a power play after a Saint was called for tripping. Although the Tigers could not break through the St. Lawrence defense during the power play, they demonstrated good communication and fired strong passes around the ice.

The Tigers spent a lot of time in the offensive zone, pressuring the Saints’ defense and goalie Lucy Morgan. With 11 minutes left in the first period, first-year forward Emerson O’Leary made a break away. Through quick passes with senior forward Maggie Connors, O’Leary scored the first and lone goal of the game, bringing home a win for the Tigers.

Princeton played aggressively throughout the rest of the game. Sophomore goalie Jennifer Olnowich had her career high in stops, totaling 30 saves against the Saints to lead to a Princeton shutout.

The next afternoon, the Tigers took on the No. 10 Clarkson Golden Knights. Knights’ goalie Michelle Pasiechnyk had a crucial performance on Saturday, stopping all 34 of Princeton’s shots on goal. With 14 minutes left in the first period, Clarkson forward Brooke McQuigge skated around the Princeton defense and connected with the back of the net.

The rest of the game saw strong defensive plays from both teams, and despite Princeton outshooting the Knights, they weren’t able to convert for the remainder of the game. With a scoreless game for the Tigers, No. 10 Clarkson took the victory, 1–0.

The Tigers will now face six consecutive games on the road, with the next matchup against Northeastern in the Smashville Showcase in Nashville on Friday, Nov. 25. They will return to Baker Rink for their next home game in January.

Evelyn Walsh is a contributor to the Sports section at the ‘Prince.’ Please direct any corrections requests to corrections at dailyprincetonian.com.