Support the ‘Prince’

Please disable ad blockers for our domain. Thank you!

Daily Princetonian Editorial Board

Articles

In support of Dreamers, on campus and beyond

Though Princeton may seem a world away from the uncertainty and terror that Dreamers endure every day, we must not forget that we have peers who are living through this hell. We stand with them as friends, students, and Americans.

Free speech, not free pulpits

The decision to invite Wax is as myopic as it is dangerous — and we will not stand for it. We urge the leaders of Whig-Clio to reconsider their invitation.

No further questions

The new requirement will further allow members of CPUC — foremost among them, President Christopher Eisgruber ’83 — to manicure, polish, and calibrate platitudes in advance. Council meetings will degenerate into PR. Worse still, there is no way to ensure that the Council will even address, much less disclose, the questions it receives and chooses not to answer. 

Toward inclusive, international scholarship

Fifty years ago, the Association of Black Collegians occupied New South to protest the University’s investments in apartheid South Africa. Those students examined South African history and contemporary affairs beyond the constraints of traditional Western scholarship. They pursued an expansive, provocative understanding of the human experience, one that transcended geographic and racial boundaries. We should heed their example.

In solidarity with Maria Ressa ’86

As Ressa’s own government violates her human right to free speech, we believe that journalists everywhere must express their solidarity. We hope that our fellow Princetonians will join us and stand with Ressa in her fearless battle against authoritarian oppression and in preserving the voice of journalism.

Our diversity and what we can do about it

To evaluate The Daily Princetonian against the University, the Board circulated a 10-question survey to the entire staff, which is comprised of undergraduate students. Approximately two-thirds of the staff responded to the survey. By closely studying the results, we have identified where the ‘Prince’ lags behind, and we have developed plans to rectify these shortcomings.

Editorial: Elections without consequence

In a break from tradition, the Board refrains from endorsing a candidate in the USG presidential election, advocating instead for the reform of the USG election system.

Editorial: On U. Trustee Bob Hugin

University Trustee Bob Hugin ’76, who has made inflammatory remarks on the inclusion of women and LGBTQ+ individuals in the eating clubs, is now running for U.S. Senator from New Jersey. President Eisgruber has defended Hugin as a “terrific trustee for this University.” The Board calls on Hugin to prove he is the person Eisgruber believes him to be.

Editorial: Upholding free and independent college journalism

Student journalists — at The Daily Princetonian and elsewhere — are the future of the democratic free press. We commend the hundreds of editorial boards nationwide who have written articles last week combating attacks on American journalism. Quilted together on the front page of The New York Times, these editorials send a strong message: journalists will not back down.