Weekend Review: October 13, 2019

Men’s soccer @ Brown: T 1–1, 2 OT

Senior forward/midfielder Danny Hampton saved the day with his 87th minute goal to tie Princeton men’s soccer’s (6–3–1, 0–1–1 Ivy) game against Brown. Brown defender Jackson Goebel put the Bears ahead in the 14th minute after converting a cross into the box. Princeton sophomore forward Truman Gelnovatch was handed a red card in the 54th minute and three minutes later, one of the team’s starters, sophomore defender Alex Charles, had to be taken out for an injury. Despite the setbacks, the Tigers outshot Brown 28–12 over the course of the two regular halves and two overtime periods. The team now has one loss and one tie in their first two Ivy League games of the season.

Women’s soccer @ Brown: L 1–0

Princeton women’s soccer (4–5–2, 1–2–0 Ivy) picked up its second loss in Ivy play this Saturday after Brown scored the game’s only goal in the 81st minute. Brown forward Ava Seelenfreund put a header into the back of the net off a cross from the left side, and that was enough to give Brown the win and keep the Bears unbeaten in the Ivy League. Princeton struggled to generate opportunities on offense throughout the game, recording only one shot on goal and three total shots. The Tigers will play Lehigh at home on Tuesday, before resuming Ivy League play next Saturday against Columbia.

Field hockey vs. Columbia: W 8–1

No. 7 Princeton field hockey (8–4, 3–0 Ivy) extended its winning streak to five games this Saturday with a convincing 8–1 win over Columbia. Princeton started the scoring early, with sophomore back Claire Donovan opening the scoring 6:48 minutes into the game. Princeton ceded only one goal in the first half and went into the locker room for halftime with a comfortable 5–1 lead. The Tigers didn’t score in the third quarter, but they picked up three more goals in the fourth quarter. Donovan and first-year midfielder Sammy Popper led Princeton with two goals apiece, but six different Tigers scored in the game.

Women’s volleyball vs. Brown, Yale: W 3–1, W 3–0

After their first loss in the Ivy League Season against Cornell last week, the Women’s Volleyball team (8–6, 4–1 Ivy) were up to face Brown and Yale last Saturday and Sunday. The Tigers caught themselves in a narrow first set against the Brown bears, but managed to defeat them by four points. Set two allowed the Tigers to quickly break away and take the set by 10 points before they dropped the third set by seven to the Bears. This third set defeat didn’t stop the Tigers from coming back, securing the victory in four sets. The Yale matchup was the match that the Tigers had been waiting for all season. Yale was previously undefeated, but the Tigers gave them their first loss in a quick three sets. The Tigers kept the lead the entire first set, never letting the Yale Bulldogs secure an advantage. Set two had the Bulldogs trailing closely behind the Tigers until a Yale block set the score at 10-all. A quick Tiger kill gave Princeton back the lead, which they kept until their 11-point victory. The Tiger momentum didn’t stop in set three, where they ended the match with an eight point victory over the Bulldogs, sweeping away their undefeated hopes.

Men’s Water Polo vs Iona, Saint. Francis: W 10–6, W 13–5

No. 19 men’s water polo (10–9, 4–1 NWPC) faced two Northeast Water Polo Conference rivals this weekend. The Tigers extended their winning streak to four, with victories over Iona College and No. 16 Saint Francis. The squad traveled to New Rochelle, N.Y. for a Saturday matchup against the unranked, unremarkable Iona Gaels (2–11, 0–5). The Gaels’ last matchup against a ranked competitor ended in a 9–19 drubbing by No. 12 Harvard; Princeton’s hard-fought 10–6 win proved less inspiring. But facing Saint Francis in DeNunzio Pool on Sunday, the Tigers displayed some of the fire they’d been missing the day before. They racked up the game’s first four goals, jumped out to an early 6–2 lead and never looked back. Sophomore center Wyatt Benson led scoring with three goals; first-year goalie Antun Knez recorded a whopping 20 saves.

Terrace IM Soccer vs. WWS United: L 8–0

Despite maximum effort for the entire 40-minute game, Terrace F. Club was defeated 8–0 by WWS United during this Sunday’s intramural soccer game. New recruit Shira Moolten ’21 had a stellar performance on defense, saving the team multiple times from an even more humiliating defeat. Still, despite their negative record, the team is positive in general, according to Tom Salotti ’21. “We are out here each weekend to hangout and play a fun and relaxed game of soccer. Hopefully a dub next weekend will get us into the playoffs,” the captain said.

Players of the Week

Collin Eaddy, football (2021): The junior running back rushed for 89 yards and three touchdowns in Princeton’s win over Lafayette.

Natasha Skov, women’s volleyball (2020): Skov led the way with 20 kills in Princeton’s four-set win over Brown on Saturday.