Weekend Review: April 28

wlax ivy.jpg
Women's lax celebrating their sixth straight Ivy League title. Photo Credit: Patrick Tewey / GoPrincetonTigers

Men’s Volleyball @ Barton: W 3–1

Princeton men’s volleyball is still at it in the NCAA tournament. The No. 13 Tigers defeated Barton College 3–1 (25–23, 25–21,18–25, 25–20) in their first ever win in the NCAA tournament. Junior George Huhmann led the team with 19 kills, four blocks, and three aces. Senior Kendall Ratter added 11 kills, five digs, and two blocks and juniors Greg Luck and Park Dixon contributed 10 and eight kills, respectively. Sophomore Joe Kelly recorded 44 assists and six digs in the four sets played while senior Corry Short also added six digs. The Tigers will take on No. 3 Pepperdine on April 30 at 10:30 pm EST as the Tigers and Waves will face off for the second time this season.

Women’s Lacrosse @ Cornell: W 18–15

Princeton earned its sixth consecutive Ivy League championship this weekend with a road win over Cornell. The Tigers started strong and took a 12–5 lead into halftime. Cornell rallied in the second half but could never come closer than three goals, as Princeton coasted to an 18–15 lead. Princeton’s trio of junior attack Tess D’Orsi, sophomore attack Kyla Sears, and senior attack Elizabeth George led Princeton with 13 goals apiece. Princeton and Dartmouth both finished with 6–1 records in Ivy play, but the Tigers earned the Ivy League tournament top seed due to its April 6 head-to-head win over the Big Green. Princeton will play Cornell again in the tournament semifinal at Columbia. 

Men’s Lacrosse @ Cornell: L 14–13

Princeton entered Saturday’s regular season needing to win by at least three goals to finish in the top four in the Ivy League and qualify for the conference tournament, due to strange tiebreaker scenarios. The Tigers weren’t able to win, falling by one to Cornell at Ithaca. Princeton was up 12–10 late in the fourth quarter, but Cornell strung together a series of three goals to reclaim the lead. Junior attack Michael Sowers tied the game with 1:26 remaining, but Cornell scored the winner with just four seconds on the clock. Even in defeat, Sowers had another majestic performance, scoring seven goals and adding an assist. He broke the Princeton record held by Kevin Lowe ’94 for most points in a career and broke his own school record for most points in a season. 

Baseball vs. Brown: W 4–1, W 5–4, L 11–5

Baseball (13–23, 8–10 Ivy) won its second Ivy League series in a row with a 2–1 victory over Brown (11–24, 8–10). Game one was scoreless until a Brown home run at the top of the fourth. The point electrified the Tigers, who racked up three runs in the fifth. Brown never responded, and an eighth-inning single from junior outfielder Chris Davis sent junior infielder Ramzi Haddad home to bring the final score to 4–1. Princeton got off to an early two-point lead in the second game, but Brown mounted an aggressive performance: the game was tied 4–4 at the top of the eighth. But a fly ball from junior outfielder and pitcher Conor Nolan brought Haddad home for another game-winner. The Tigers fared less well in Sunday’s game three. Princeton watched its 5–3 seventh-inning-lead dissipate as the Bears racked up eight runs in two innings. But no matter: despite the sloppy play, the Tigers had secured a rare Ivy win. 

Softball @ Cornell: W 10–5, L 4–3, L 4–3 

Softball (14–24, 10–8 Ivy League) fell 2–1 to Cornell (10–32, 5–13). In game one, the Tigers were most dominant: with two runs, sophomore Mackenzie Meyer led them to a 10–5 victory. But that was the high point of the weekend. Princeton led 3–1 at the top of the third, but third and sixth-inning runs propelled the Big Red to a 4–3 win. Game three would be just as close, and just as heartbreaking for the Tigers. Princeton shot out to an early 3–1 lead, and held it all the game’s finale. The Big Red capitalized on its final, bottom of the seventh possession, scoring three runs to walk away with another 4–3 win and a series victory. 

Players of the Weekend

Michael Sowers, Men’s Lacrosse: With seven goals and an assist against Cornell, Sowers broke both the Princeton record for points in a career and his own Princeton record for points in a season.

Megan Donahey, Softball: Donahey had six hits on the day, all singles, while adding two walks. She reached base in all nine plate appearances, including one error.