U. admits 13.9 percent of early applicants to Class of 2023

Morrison Hall 2018.jpg
Marcia Brown / The Daily Princetonian

At 7 p.m. Wednesday, 743 students will become the first individuals admitted to the University’s Class of 2023. They were selected from a Single Choice Early Action (SCEA) pool of 5,335 applicants, making for a 13.9 percent acceptance rate in the early round — representing the most competitive SCEA application process in the history of the University.

“It is an exceptionally strong pool,” said deputy dean of the college and acting director of admission Elizabeth Colagiuri. “We were really quite impressed with the strength of the students,” she said. 

Students admitted hail from 49 U.S. states, as well as Washington, D.C., and U.S. territories. Thirty-six countries are represented in the admitted group, and prospective international students make up 10 percent of those selected. 

EA Infographic
EA Infographic

Fifty-one percent of the selected students are female, and 49 percent are male. 

Twenty-one percent of the admitted students indicated interest in pursuing a B.S.E. degree, in keeping with last year

Fifty percent of admits are domestic students of color, a 6 percent increase from last year’s percentage of domestic students of color. 

Seventeen percent of the cohort would be first-generation college students.

“We’re very proud of the range of students admitted,” dean of the college and acting dean of admissions Jill Dolan said. “They are artists, athletes, they do a lot of community service. They have a commitment to service, being global citizens.”

The 13.9 percent acceptance rate represents a drop from last year’s SCEA admission rate of 14.7 percent. In 2016, 15.4 percent of students were accepted through the early round, and in 2015 that figure was 18.6 percent.

“The level at which most who already applied are already working in high school is extremely impressive,” Dolan said. “That’s what makes [choosing students] such a difficult task.”

The early admits will join students who deferred admission to previous classes and the students admitted through Regular Decision in March to compose the Class of 2023. The SCEA process is non-binding, meaning students accepted to the University through the early admission process can apply to other schools and have until May 1 to make a final school choice.

The deadline to apply to the University through the Regular Decision process is Jan. 1. Students deferred through the early round of admissions will receive a final decision from the University on the same day as the Regular Decision applicants. 

For the second year in a row, the University will also admit transfer students, who apply through a different process. For prospective transfers, the deadline to apply is March 1.

“Regular Decision is coming up, but if this is any indication, we’re really impressed and very excited,” Dolan said.