U. admits 799 students in early action program

The University admitted 799 students out of a record 5,402 applicants under the single-choice early action program to the Class of 2022. The admission rate of 14.7 percent was the lowest yet under the SCEA program, following a 15.4 percent early admission rate in 2016 and a 18.6 percent early admission rate in 2015.

“In our conversations about candidates as we read their files, we were struck by their commitment to service [and] their strong interests outside the classroom in addition to their superb intellectual abilities,” said Janet Rapelye, Dean of Admissions at the University. 

The pool of applicants under this year’s SCEA plan was the largest in the program’s seven-year history, representing a growth of 8 percent over last year’s early applicant group and a 57 percent increase from 2011, the first year of the University's early action program. The University's first early action pool had 3,443 applicants.

Accepted students hail from 44 U.S. states, along with 48 countries. Eleven percent of the early admitted students are international. Forty-four percent of domestic students come from diverse backgrounds, according to the University’s statement. Seventeen percent of admitted students are legacy students.

Fourteen percent will be the first in their families to attend a college or university. This percentage is in line with last year’s number. Fifty-six percent of the early admits will graduate in the spring from public or charter high schools.

21 percent of the early admitted students indicated their intention to pursue a B.S.E. degree at the University, 44 percent of whom are women. 

In addition, 49 students were admitted to the University under the Questbridge Program, the largest matched group in the University’s history. Students admitted through Questbridge received notification of their match with the University on Dec. 1, and will receive their official acceptances through the mail. 

Princeton’s SCEA option allows students for whom the University is their first choice to receive a decision in December, although the decision is non-binding and students have until May 1 to accept their offer of admission. The remainder of the Class of 2022 will be admitted in late March under the regular decision plan. Last year, 4.3 percent of applicants were admitted under regular decision for an overall admission rate of 6.1 percent.

Students who had their admissions decisions deferred will receive an official decision from the University at the time of Regular Decision notification. “We will be looking for the senior grades [of the deferred students],” Rapelye said. 

“We’re very happy with this admitted class,” Rapelye said. 

The Princeton Office of Admissions is located in Morrison Hall, named for U. professor emeritus Toni Morrison. Previously, the building was named West College.

The Princeton Office of Admissions is located in Morrison Hall, named for professor emerita Toni Morrison. Previously, the building was named West College.