Women’s ice hockey extends unbeaten streak with win over Colgate, draw with Cornell

WIHbullock.jpg
Carly Bullock scored a goal in Princeton's Friday win over Colgate.

This past weekend, the women’s hockey team (5–2–3, 4–0–2 ECAC) hosted Colgate (7–5–2, 3–2–1) on Friday night and No. 6 Cornell (5–1–3, 4–1–1) on Saturday afternoon. The Tigers continued their unbeaten streak with a 6–0 win over the Raiders and a 2–2 draw against the Big Red. These results saw Princeton maintain its position atop the ECAC and Ivy League women’s hockey standings going into its Thanksgiving break. Coming into the weekend, Cornell and Colgate were tied for second with Quinnipiac (3–6–3, 3–2–1) whom the Tigers will play the weekend after Thanksgiving in a home-and-home playing at Princeton on Friday and then traveling to Quinnipiac on Saturday. 

In Friday’s “#BlackOutBaker” game, the Tigers had five different goal scorers with senior forward and co-captain Karlie Lund netting two, including her 50th career goal. Other goals came from junior forward Carly Bullock, junior defender Claire Thompson, sophomore forward Shannon Griffin, and freshman defender Mariah Keopple, her first Princeton goal. “Each of our lines can generate offense and score whereas in past years we have really relied on one line to score,” said Lund, noting that the depth of the team has been key to Princeton’s success so far.

Other teams have to do more preparation then because they can’t just shut down one line. Sophomore goalie Rachel McQuigge had a career-high number of saves with 33 in her first career shutout.

McQuigge followed up this great performance on Friday night with another stellar job on Saturday with 31 saves, including five in the last five minutes of the game. Goals for the Tigers came early with Lund and sophomore forward Annie MacDonald both scoring in the first period. Despite a number of other scoring chances, Princeton was never able to get the go-ahead goal over the last two periods and overtime. 

As it was last weekend against Syracuse, the Tigers continued to dominate at the face-off circle. On Friday, Princeton won 46 of 72 face-offs and on Saturday they won 32 of 57. Lund commented, “Our team takes a lot of pride in winning face-offs because we see it as a five-man effort instead of just the centers’ responsibility.” Constant communication during the week and the games was something that Lund commented as having worked really well for them. 

When Princeton is next home against Quinnipiac on Nov. 30, the Tigers will be looking to get another large crowd like they did on Friday night at their #BlackOutBaker game.

Lund said, “The atmosphere was incredible. The fans brought a ton of energy which helped our team come out to a fast start and never slow down.” Lund felt that Friday’s game was one of the teams’ best so far this season and that the crowd played a big role in that. 

The Tigers are off this next weekend for Thanksgiving break before playing Quinnipiac in its annual home-and-home series on Nov. 30 at Princeton and Dec. 1 at Quinnipiac. Quinnipiac currently sits in tied for fourth place with Colgate in the ECAC Hockey standings after losing 2–1 to Cornell and tying Colgate 3–3.