Injured construction worker first found by crew team has died

Construction site 3

A critically injured construction worker first discovered by crew team members near Shea Rowing Center this morning has died from his injuries after receiving medical treatment in Trenton. 

Members of the lightweight women’s crew team first discovered the worker at approximately 8:20 a.m.

According to the team’s captain Grace Miles ’19, the team was on their morning practice warm-up run when they heard the sound of a crane and someone “screaming in agony.”

Miles said herself and five other teammates promptly ran to the source of the noise and saw that a “huge” 12-foot-wide section of metal building material had fallen on a construction worker.

The construction worker’s colleagues allegedly “couldn't hear him,” according to Miles, since they were in another area of the construction site.

Miles said that after trying to help the victim, her teammates promptly called the Department of Public Safety, which forwarded their call to 911 operators.

Officers from the Department of Public Safety responded to the incident at 8:26 a.m., along with the Princeton Police Department and the Princeton First Aid and Rescue Squad, according to University Spokesperson Michael Hotchkiss.

Hotchkiss told the The Daily Princetonian in a written statement Saturday afternoon that workers from Carson Corp. told emergency workers that the man was “struck by a large beam that slipped off a truck while it was being loaded.”

First responders provided medical aid to the construction worker before transporting him to Capital Health Regional Medical Center in Trenton for further treatment, Hotchkiss said.

Miles told the ‘Prince’ the rest of her team’s practice was cancelled and her teammates are “extremely emotionally distressed.”

Two other members of the women's lightweight crew team declined to comment, or did not respond to requests for comment from the ‘Prince,’ respectively.

According to Assistant Vice President for Communications Daniel Day, the construction near the boathouse involves a new power substation being built to upgrade the electrical infrastructure on the campus. 

Press representatives from Capital Health Regional Medical Center declined to comment on the condition of the injured worker when the news first broke.

Hotchkiss said that students who were nearby at the time of the accident were offered counseling through University Health Services.

The Department of Public Safety directed comment to the Office of Communications and Michael Hotchkiss.

The story was updated at 3:20 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 29. This story has been corrected to indicate the purpose of the construction. The ‘Prince’ regrets the error.