Total enrollment of U. co-ops increases

Since 2017, the number of University food co-ops — dining options in which students buy groceries, cook in small teams, and have evening meals together as a group — has increased. There are currently five University-recognized co-ops: 2 Dickinson Street (2D), Brown, International Food (IFC), Scully Co-op, and Real Food, as well as one unrecognized co-op, Pink House. 

With the addition of Scully Co-op in September 2017, and the addition of Pink House, the total spots available in co-ops increased by 37 percent. 

2D, a vegetarian and vegan co-op founded in the fall of 1977, is the largest co-op on campus, attracting 48 to 50 students each semester. Dues of $600, paid upfront every semester, allow students to rotate cooking seven dinners each week and brunch on the weekends. The co-op is located at 2 Dickinson Street. 

Brown, founded in 1994, has 30 students, approximately 15 juniors and 15 seniors. Dues are slightly cheaper than 2D’s, at $500 per semester, which includes dinner every night, Sunday brunch, and access to the kitchen 24/7 for breakfast and lunch. Since 15 to 20 percent of Brown members are vegetarian, Brown is conscious about keeping the meals at least partially vegetarian. The co-op is located in Brown Hall.

IFC, founded in 2009, expects its 20 members to pay $500 in dues each semester. Since three of the current members are vegetarians, IFC is also conscious of preparing vegetarian dishes, which are often also gluten-free and vegan. Gluten-free rice is served nearly every day. IFC is located in the basement of Laughlin Hall.

Real Food, founded in the fall of 2014, has 24 students, and its dues are $200 per semester. Vegetarian meals are served four to five nights a week, since a large portion of members are vegetarians and vegans. RFC is located in the Basement of Edwards Hall.

Scully Co-op has 35 members and costs $650 per semester. Meals are varied but always include vegetarian options. Members receive seven dinners, two weekend brunches, and 24-hour access to the kitchen and groceries. The co-op is located in Scully Hall.

Pink House, which is affiliated with Forbes Residential College, accommodates 10 students who live in the house. According to Forbes College, the goal of Pink House, also known as Princeton Social Sustainability, is to foster "sustainable living and activism." Members of Pink House's food co-op did not respond to the Prince's inquiries about the total number of co-op members beyond the 10 members who live in the house. Pink House is located at 99 Alexander Road.