Men’s tennis wins 2 of 3, while women make Princeton history

Tennis_Photo.jpg

The men’s tennis team (4–3) headed into last weekend’s three matches looking for redemption after two consecutive losses against Portland and Washington. Next on the schedule for the Tigers were Mississippi (8–2) on Friday and the University at Buffalo (3–4) and Army (2–6) on Sunday. Though the team lost against Mississippi on Friday, they clinched two wins against Buffalo and Army to wrap up the weekend.

On the women’s side, the Tigers were still riding a three-game sweep two weekends ago as they headed into the ECAC Championship at Jadwin Gymnasium. The team finished on top with another three-game sweep, improving to 6–0 overall.

The series of matches for the men’s team kicked off in Princeton against Mississippi, ranked No. 21 by the USTA. Though the Orange and Black were able to earn two singles victories from the success of sophomore Payton Holden and first-year Damian Rodriguez on courts six and three, the Mississippi Rebels garnered four singles points and the one doubles point to bring the final tally to 5–2.

After Friday’s loss, the Tigers headed to West Point, N.Y., for a Sunday doubleheader. Buffalo earned three singles points in the first match of the day, but Princeton took the doubles point and three singles points with wins from senior Luke Gamble, sophomore Davey Roberts, and senior Diego Vives. Vives and senior Kial Kaiser had teamed up to take the doubles point.

Luke Gamble is a former opinion columnist for The Daily Princetonian.

The team concluded the day with a 5–2 victory against the host Army, taking the doubles point and clinching four singles wins from first-years Kabir Sarita and Rodriguez and seniors Ben Tso and Gamble.

Now 4–3 overall, the Tigers will look to continue the momentum of the Sunday sweep into next weekend in New Haven where they will compete in the ECAC Championship.

It was also a busy weekend for the women’s tennis team (6–0), who defeated Harvard (4–5), Brown (4–3), and Dartmouth (5–4) in Jadwin Gym to win the ECAC Championship title over the seven other Ivy League participants.

No. 1 Princeton defeated No. 8 Harvard in the first match of the tournament Friday, winning the doubles point and three singles points after victories from first-year Stephanie Schrage, sophomore Tiffany Chen, and sophomore Gaby Pollner.

The win propelled the team into the semifinals against Brown on Saturday, which concluded with a 4–2 victory for the Tigers. Brown added two singles wins to the tally, but Princeton clinched the doubles point and three singles wins from Chen, Schrage, and senior Katrine Steffensen to round out the match to 4–2 and earn a spot in the final match of the tournament against Dartmouth.

The results of the final mimicked the first two matches, with Princeton taking the doubles point and three singles points. Schrage and junior Nicole Kalhorn won the doubles court, while Pollner, Schrage, and Kalhorn each won their singles match. The final score was 4–1, bringing the team to 6–0 on the season for the first time since 1975 and the first ECAC Championship title in program history.

The Tigers hope to continue their six-game winning streak next weekend against Xavier (4–3) on Saturday and Kentucky (4–2) on Sunday. Both matches will be held in Jadwin Gym.