Tigers set to host three-day Farnsworth Invitational

Jimmy Wasserman.jpg

Tennis might be a spring sport if you consider the NCAA’s championship calendar, but you can still find the men’s tennis team competing this weekend on the southeastern edge of campus.

The Princeton men’s tennis team will take on players from 14 different schools as it hosts the three-day Farnsworth Invitational — named after tennis alumnus and naval lieutenant Ted Farnsworth ’84 — Oct. 6–8 at the Lenz Tennis Center. The three-time defending NCAA champions, the Virginia Cavaliers, are among the schools playing in the tournament, so the Tigers and all other challengers should expect some strong competition. This will be the fourth tournament the Tigers have played this fall and conditions should be ideal throughout the weekend.

Athletes will be competing in four singles draws and three doubles draws. Senior Diego Vives, junior Jimmy Wasserman, and first-years Kabir Sarita and Noah Agarwal are set to compete on behalf of the host Tigers. Sarita and Agarwal, who will play at number 3 and 4 singles respectively, have each had initial struggles in their starts to collegiate play, falling in a few close matches. The underclassmen will look to build on their fall seasons against largely regional competition at Lenz.

Wasserman also had a tough outing two weeks ago, finishing 0–4 at the Ivy Plus Invitational, but will look to turn it around in the number 2 singles draw. Teammate Vives will also compete in number 2 singles, setting up a potential all-Princeton matchup in the final.

Vives and Sarita will pair up in the number 2 doubles bracket, while Wasserman and Agarwal will see action at number 3 doubles. These new combinations should help head coach Billy Pate to develop more consistent doubles pairings.

So far this fall, the Tigers have been led by first-year Ryan Seggerman and his 6–1 singles record, though he is not set to play this weekend. Seggerman competed in the top draw for the Tigers at Ivy Plus invitational two weeks ago, and he suffered his first loss of the season on the final day of play, 6–4, 6–3 to Constance de la Bassetiere of Penn State, who is ranked number 18 by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association.

Sophomore Davey Roberts has also put together a rising fall campaign, sitting at 4–3 in singles matches so far. Roberts won his most recent match, 6–0, 6–4 against Vidit Vaghela of Buffalo to close out Ivy Plus.

At the finish of Ivy Plus, Pate was optimistic that three players who had been dealing with injuries would be back to play this weekend. Of those players, sophomores Eduardo Paz and Payton Holden are not scheduled to play in the Farnsworth Invitational, but they may be back on the court next weekend at the ITA Northeast Regional Tournament in New Haven. 

Holden started the season strong in tournament play at Duke in mid-September, going 2-2 in singles matches. Senior Luke Gamble, a second-team All-Ivy League honoree in doubles last spring, has yet to compete this school year. 

This weekend’s matches will serve as a final tune-up before players head to Connecticut late next week for ITA regionals. Following that event, the Tigers will see action in two more tournaments before the conclusion of the semester.

Play begins Oct. 7 at 8:30 a.m. with two rounds of singles and one round of doubles.