Princeton's No. 1 offense set to battle Cornell's No. 1 defense

Princeton Group Shot.jpg

This weekend, Princeton football (5-1, 2-1 Ivy) comes home after a great road trip to take on Cornell (2-4, 2-1). We can expect a good game under the lights at 7 p.m. on Oct. 28 . Last year, when these teams met in Ithaca, the Tigers walked away as big winners. In the 100th meeting between the teams this year, Princeton will be looking to continue its recent success against the Big Red to win its 5th straight over Cornell. Princeton leads the all-time series 61-36-2.

This game will pit strength against strength when the Big Red’s defense takes the field to face the Tigers’ offense. Cornell is leading the Ivy League in total and passing defense so far this year. Anchoring this defense is All-American safety Nick Gesualdi, who has one interception so far on the season. Over the last two games, a win against Brown and a loss against Bucknell, Cornell has limited their opponents to averaging just 192 total yards. An interesting note about this Cornell defense is that it is led by someone formerly affiliated with Princeton, former Defensive Coordinator Jared Backus. At Princeton, Backus coached four All-Ivy linebackers, a Bushnell Cup winner, Mike Catapano ’13, and a Bushnell Cup runner-up, Caraun Reid ’14, both of whom were later drafted into the NFL.

When Princeton’s on offense, all eyes will be on senior quarterback Chad Kanoff to sling the ball around as beautifully as he did last week. Against Harvard, Kanoff completed just over 88 percent of his passes, including the first 21, for 421 yards and two touchdowns. His completion percentage of 88.6 percent was just off the FCS single-game record of 88.9 percent. This performance was good enough for Kanoff to win several awards, including the STATS FCS National Offensive Player of the Week, Ivy League Offensive Player of the Week, and Go.PrincetonTigers.com/ Suburban Transit Athlete of the Week. Kanoff has been phenomenal so far this season, and head coach Bob Surace described him as “exceptional” after the game on Oct. 20.

Kanoff isn’t the only one who has been making moves in the Princeton record book so far this season. Junior wide receiver Jesper Horsted is looking to have the fourth 1000-yard receiving season in Princeton football history joining Kevin Guthrie ’84, who did it twice, and Derek Graham ’85 as the only players to have ever achieved that milestone. Horsted has 712 yards so far this season, giving him an average near 120 yards per game. On Oct. 20, Horsted had the best game of his career, hauling in 13 passes for 246 yards and both of Kanoff’s touchdowns. This performance from Horsted was the third most receiving yards in a game in Princeton history and the most since 1991.

If you are unable to make the trip down to Powers Field on Oct. 28, there are a few other ways that you can watch the game. NBC Sports Network will be carrying it live and streaming it on NBC Sports Live. Radio coverage will be provided on 103.3 FM, which can also be accessed through the TuneIn App.