Tigers fall to No. 15 following tough loss to Penn State

The Princeton women’s field hockey team now stands with a 1-3 record for the season after losing to Penn State on Sunday, Sept. 10. Last year, the Tigers beat out the Nittany Lions 2-1 during first-round action of the NCAA Tournament at Field Hockey Complex in University Park. However, the Tigers were unable to break Penn State’s four-game winning streak this year, losing 2-0 at Bedford Field in Princeton, N.J.

The visiting team began the game by scoring with a strong offensive play, receiving four penalty corners in just four minutes. The Lions scored after at the 13-minute mark when Moira Putsch’s shot attempt ricocheted off Katie Dembroski’s stick and into the cage. Sophomore goalie Grace Baylis blocked Penn State’s next attempt, but the Tigers failed to return the goal in their own attempts at the Lions’ cage. Senior striker Ryan McCarthy found some open space for a pass to junior striker Sophia Tornetta in the circle, but the the team struggled to put itself on the board.

After the intermission, the team went into shooting mode, taking 12 shots in just one half, but none went past Penn State goalie Jenny Rizzo. With 18 minutes left in the game, Penn State converted directly off a corner as Aurelia Meijer deposited one in the back of the cage to make the score 2-0.

After Sunday’s lost, the Tiger’s ranking fell three spots to No. 15 in the Penn Montco/NFHCA Division I Coaches' Poll while Penn State rose to claim the No. 2 spot in the league. The closest Ivy League rival in the rankings is Harvard, which is just two spots behind the Tigers at 17th. Despite the loss for the Tigers, the week ended on a high note with first-year Marykate Neff being selected as the Ivy League Rookie of the Week. This makes her the second consecutive Tiger to receive the honor after Julianna Tornetta won last week.

The Tigers next contest will be an away game against Duke, which is currently ranked No. 1. The match will take place at noon.