A preview of Princeton's best eateries

Whether it’s a weekend get-together, study break, or birthday celebration, Princeton has what you need. Here’s a preview of some of the best food in town, to start you off on your upcoming gastronomical adventures — go forth and conquer!

Coffee

Rojo’s Roastery — Rojo’s is home to sustainably sourced and roasted artisan coffee, right next to Thomas Sweet Chocolates and The Bent Spoon ice cream. Solid study break. (33 Palmer Square W.)

Small World Coffee — These hip cafes are ideal places to catch up with a friend or get some work done. (14 Witherspoon St., 254 Nassau St.)

Starbucks — Head back to the basics at your one and only Starbucks. Grab that venti double chocolaty chip crème frappuccino; no one will judge. (100 Nassau St.)

Ice Cream and Pastries

The Bent Spoon — It's Dean's Date and you’ve finished all your written work for the semester. Celebrate with some ice cream! Known for its fantastically unique, delightfully inventive, and sometimes downright strange ice cream and sorbet flavors for every occasion and theme, The Bent Spoon will surely be a pleasant surprise at any visit throughout the year. (35 Palmer Square W.)

Thomas Sweet — With two locations, Thomas Sweet sells not only ice cream but also other treats like cookies, paninis, and handmade chocolates. (chocolates at 29 Palmer Square W and ice cream at 183 Nassau St.)

Halo Pub — A Princeton classic featuring locally made ice cream at an affordable price with plenty of flavors to choose from, this makes for a perfect outing with friends or club members. Pro tip: You can try two different flavors in one scoop. (9 Hulfish St.)

Dolceria — Although a little further out on Nassau Street, this enchanting gelato store is also known for its crepes and beignets, which you can order stuffed with gelato or jam. Terrific for a post-CVS stop. (180 Nassau St.)

The Little Chef — This small pastry shop is tailored for those who love unexpected adventures. To catch the fresh croissants in the morning, you need to make it there before they run out, which could be by 7 a.m. or 9 a.m. But don’t worry; there are plenty of other elegant desserts and treats to fill you up. (8 South Tulane St.)

Breakfast/Brunch

Jammin’ Crêpes — Saturday brunch, anyone? Including its legendary 20-layer crêpe cakes, Jammin’ Crêpes is overflowing with appetizing creations from savory to sweet. (20 Nassau St.)

Chez Alice — Great for catering or a quick bite when you’re on Nassau, Chez Alice offers cakes, sandwiches, and salads. In the mornings, it also provides a peaceful spot for breakfast with a friend or two. (5 Palmer Square W.)

PJ’s Pancake House — You know it’s the real deal when its website has the domain name pancakes.com. A local favorite and a superb option for breakfast lovers, PJ’s serves up its famous breakfast menu from morning to evening. Beware of the long queues rain or shine, but, needless to say, this is a timeless Princeton experience. (154 Nassau St.)

Cafe Vienna — Take a trip to Austria at this quaint European-style cafe, which serves breakfast, lunch, coffee, tea, and cake, including the classic Viennese Sachertorte. (200 Nassau St.)

Lunch

Teresa Caffe — For those craving Italian food or trying to pick out the next date spot, this charming restaurant and cafe is located in the heart of Palmer Square, across from Nassau Inn, with an outdoor dining area and homey feel. (23 Palmer Square E.)

Mamoun’s Falafel — Serving outstanding traditional Middle Eastern food, Mamoun’s is a go-to spot for savory falafels, shawarma, and more. (20 Witherspoon St.)

La Mezzaluna — Famous for its risotto and other authentic Italian dishes, La Mezzaluna is also one of the few restaurants in town that serves house-made tiramisu. This is a cozy spot to get a table for one or more. (25 Witherspoon St.)

Kung Fu Tea and Noodle House — Stop by for bubble tea, egg tarts, ramen, or pho; this bustling branch of the highly popular New York franchise is perfect for a study break or a coffee alternative. (80 Nassau St.)

Princeton Soup and Sandwich Company — Got some time between classes? Grab a warm soup, a toasty sandwich, or both to-go. (30 Palmer Square E.)

Olives — A trendy catering and take-out option, Olives offers freshly made food with a Greek flair at a market/deli-style location. Bonus: President Eisgruber can often be spotted buying his lunch here. (22 Witherspoon St.)

Hoagie Haven — With sandwiches like the Body Bag and the Heart Stop, what better way to fill up an empty stomach than at Hoagie Haven? Open until the wee hours of the morning, this is a reliable and popular destination for winding down after an exciting night out or a long study session. (242 Nassau St.)

Dinner

Witherspoon Grill — More of a sit-down restaurant for longer meals, Witherspoon Grill is a classy place to eat with family and enjoy live jazz performances. (57 Witherspoon St.)

Blue Point Grill — Attention seafood af-fish-ionados: This upscale seafood restaurant with spacious outdoor and indoor seating is fin-tastic for a meal with family, friends, or that special one. (258 Nassau St.)

Soonja’s — Korean fare south of Forbes College (yes, there are things farther away than Forbes). (244 Alexander St.)

EPS Corner — Located near the E-Quad, EPS is one of the few Chinese restaurants within walking distance from campus, serving mainly Szechuan-style food. (238 Nassau St.)

Winberie’s — Affordable and good location for large group parties. (1 Palmer Square)

Triumph — A quintessential 21st-birthday venue, Triumph is its own brewery, but also a regular restaurant with pub food for any event, with incredibly high ceilings and a wide dining area. (138 Nassau St.)

Mo C Mo C — Tucked in near the barber’s shop and the Princeton Record Exchange, this hidden gem is nice for a sushi lunch or dinner with friends. (14 South Tulane St.)

Ajihei — An excellent choice for that ramen fix you’ve been waiting for. (11 Chambers St.)

Mehek Restaurant — Quality Indian food; great for dinner with friends or take-out. (164 Nassau St.)

Special Occasions

Mistral — Presenting small bites to share, Mistral is wonderful for a light meal with parents or a fun food excursion to try imaginative recipes that are globally inspired and carefully curated. (66 Witherspoon St.)

Despaña — Modern, Spanish fine dining. (235 Nassau St.)

Agricola — An upscale farm-to-table restaurant, Agricola is a hot spot for brunch or dinner when you have a little extra to spend. (11 Witherspoon St.)

The Dinky Bar & Kitchen — Located where the Dinky train station used to be, across from McCarter Theatre, this restaurant and bar opened just last year. It features unique small plates and a relaxed atmosphere for happy hour. (94 University Pl.)

Cargot Brasserie — The newest addition to the Princeton family, this French-inspired sister restaurant headed by the owners of Agricola and the Dinky Bar opened this summer in the new Arts and Transit Neighborhood, and might be an exciting place to try out next time before a show or concert. (98 University Pl.)

Bonus Round: Food Trucks

Nomad Pizza — Highly in demand for campus study breaks, Nomad travels around in a truck with a wood-fired brick oven and makes flavorful thin crust pizzas — it’s fast and easy to grab a slice and go.

Nina’s Waffles — Mouthwatering waffles with your choice of ice cream and toppings — delectable anywhere, anytime.

A handful of these vendors will be present at the University Art Museum’s annual Nassau Street Sampler on Sept. 14, hosted by the Art Museum’s Student Advisory Board.

Also, keep an eye out for Princeton Restaurant Week once every semester, organized by the Undergraduate Student Government Campus and Community Affairs Committee, which offers discounts from select restaurants around town!