Lawnparties at Colonial: R. City

“Now tell me would you really ride for me? Baby, tell me would you die for me? Would you spend your whole life with me? Would you be there to always hold me down? Tell me would you really cry for me? Baby, don’t lie to me. If I didn’t have anything, I wanna know would you stick around?”

These are the lyrics that you probably associate with R. City (aka Rock City), a musical duo from Saint Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands. R. City was formed in 2003 by brothers Theron and Timothy Thomas, who go by the stage names A.I. and Uptown AP, respectively.

These lyrics are from the duo’s most popular single, “Locked Away,” which features Adam Levine of Maroon 5. R. City is actually behind plenty of other well-known songs as well. Having written and produced numerous hits, including Sean Kingston’s “Take You There,” Miley Cyrus’ “We Can’t Stop,” Nicki Minaj’s “Only,” and Rihanna’s “Man Down,” R. City’s musical wheelhouse extends far beyond its most well-known single.

The duo released their debut album, “What Dreams Are Made Of,” in 2015. In an interview conducted by Australia’s Spotlight Report, Theron Thomas spoke about the album, saying, “If you see our album cover, it’s a picture of me and my brother as kids when we were at the ages of three and four years old, and that alone tells you that this is a dream we’ve been chasing since we were [little] .... We make music for the people. Even though it’s from a personal place and we’re talking about our lives, our stories, and our struggles, we still want to make sure we do it in a way that the people who listen to our music can relate to, where they can own it as their life, their struggle, and their experience.” The duo describes their music as “Caribbean meets hip-hop” with the intention of inspiring and uplifting its listeners.

So whether you are a reggae lover, a hip-hop enthusiast, or simply a fan of music made with the intention of making people smile, come see the duo that is responsible for countless chart-toppers perform at Colonial Club this Sunday at 1:30 p.m.