Women’s water polo goes 2-1 for the weekend

Last weekend, the women’s water polo team played three games, winning two and losing one. Princeton beat St. Francis and Bucknell on Saturday, but fell to No. 7 Michigan on Sunday. The Tigers now have a 3-1 overall record in the CWPA.

The first game saw Princeton fell St. Francis 10-5, with seven different players netting goals. Junior Chelsea Johnson scored two, with senior classmates Morgan Hallock and Hannah Lapkin getting two. Freshman goalkeeper Kasey Bersh made her second collegiate career start for the Tigers, making a total of four saves. The win helped create confidence going into the Bucknell game later that day.

Junior Haley Wan buried a total of five goals against Bucknell which took her goal tally up to 41, to ensure Princeton beat the Bison, 9-3. Wan, the All-CWPA Second Team player, was top goal scorer for the Tigers last season, ending with 58 goals. The game was not all about Princeton, though; Bucknell tested the Tigers' defense, forcing senior Ashleigh Johnson to make seven saves in the game.

However, the weekend did not end on the note Princeton would have liked, as the Tigers lost against Michigan. Despite Ashleigh Johnson making seven saves again, Michigan managed to score 14 points against Princeton’s six. Michigan came out strong in the first period, scoring five, and Princeton struggled to recover from the quick start, never closing the gap to take the lead. By the half, Princeton was seven goals behind. Wan scored three in the game, giving her eight hat tricks in the last nine games, while Chelsea Johnson got two goals.

No. 10 Princeton was disappointed by the performance on Sunday, but is having a successful season so far, at 18-3 overall. The Tigers will need to bounce back quickly as they face further CWPA competition on the road this coming weekend against two top 20 ranked teams, No. 15 Indiana and No. 19 Hartwick, as well as Ivy League-rival Brown.