Six U. students named Schwarzman Scholars

The Schwarzman Scholars, founded by Blackstone co-founder Steven A. Schwarzman, announced six seniors as part of 129 men and women chosen to represent the Class of 2018.

The Schwarzman Scholars was founded to “respond to the geopolitical landscape of the 21st Century” and is “designed to meet the challenges of the 21st century and beyond,” according to their website.

The scholarship aims to provide students with global leadership skills and help them build professional networks and relationships, through close interactions with senior mentors and internship opportunities, as well as full cultural immersion and travel around China.

The scholars are fully funded by the program and will pursue a one-year master’s degree in either public policy, economics and business, or international studies at the prestigious Tsinghua University in Beijing, China, living and studying together in the newly built Schwarzman College.

In its second year, the Schwarzman Scholars Class of 2018 includes six Princetonians: Emery Real Bird ’17, a politics major with a certificate in East Asian Studies, Wilson School major Jacob Cannon ’17 who is also getting a certificate in Chinese Language and Culture, Kevin Wong ’17, a philosophy major with certificates in French and Values and Public Life, Wilson School major Molly Reiner ’17 who is studying for a certificate in Chinese Language and Culture, Preston Lim ’17, a Near Eastern Studies major with a certificate in the History and Practice of Diplomacy, and Samuel Maron ’17, a neuroscience major.

They are among 129 selected from 30 countries and 75 universities around the world. 45 percent are from the United States, 20 percent from China, and 35 percent are from the rest of the world, according to the official press release.

“I am overjoyed with the caliber of students who will make up the second class of Schwarzman Scholars. It has been truly inspiring for me to meet these people, who at such a young age have already started to make an impact on the world,” Stephen A. Schwarzman said, according to the official website. “Clearly their journey is just beginning, but it is our hope that the Scholars of the inaugural class, the Class of 2018, and every class thereafter will leave Schwarzman College with a better understanding of how to foster friendship, cooperation and collaboration among the peoples of the world.”

“As we met the candidates for the second class of Scholars during their interviews, we were impressed with their unparalleled energy, initiative, and drive,” Global Director of Admissions Robert Garris said. “We confirmed once again how essential it is to have experienced leaders from politics, the nonprofit world, and government as panelists, meeting the candidates in person to identify the next generation of leaders.”

Alumni Ella Cheng ’16, Tyler Rudolph ’16, Yung Yung Yang ’13, Lucas Briger ’12, and Anastasya Lloyd-Damnjanovic ’14 were part of the inaugural Class of 2017.