Princeton Field Hockey Looks to go 4-0 in Ivy League Play this weekend

Along with football and women’s volleyball, Princeton field hockey will host Brown this weekend on Saturday at 12 p.m. They are heading into the game with momentum behind them after dominating Columbia last Friday 6-0, their biggest win of the season so far. The Tigers head into the game ranked ninth in the coaches poll after suffering a narrow loss in overtime on Sunday against Duke.

Brown field hockey have been having a rather successful Ivy League campaign so far, only losing to Harvard in a close 1-0 game. The game this weekend will be of utmost importance to Brown, which, like many of the Ivy League teams, relishes the chance of beating Princeton. As of yet, the Tigers have remained undefeated in conference play and have not conceded a goal. This weekend will provide a challenge against Brown to keep their intensity up in the Ivy League and to send out another strong message to the conference for their game against Harvard next week.

With the return of last year’s Ivy League Rookie of the Year and one of the three Tigers to be selected for the U21 World Cup in November, Sophomore Sophia Tornetta will be looking to be clinical in front of the goal, which has been something that the team has struggled with against tougher opponents.Tornetta said “I am so excited to be able to play again, especially this weekend which marks our halfway point in the Ivy season. The team has been so supportive of my injury and without them, I do not think I would be where I am. I know that the we will really step up on Saturday and show the league that we are not a team to take lightly."

This weekend has a quick turnaround for the Tigers as they then play Towson on Sunday, their last non-conference play before the NCAA Tournament in November. Towson has struggled this season, currently holding a 2-11 record overall. This game will be a chance for Princeton to keep up the positive momentum going into the three remaining Ivy League games to come with arguably the biggest this year being Harvard, who is the only other undefeated team so far.