Katie Reinprecht '13 Leads Team USA in Upset Over Argentina

The U.S. women’s field hockey team upset Argentina 2-1 on the first full day of Olympic competition.

The matchup on Saturday evening marked the beginning of hockey pool play in Rio 2016. Argentina's Las Leonas are ranked No. 2 in the world and are widely expected to take home a medal. The No. 5 ranked U.S. is competing in Pool B, along with Great Britain, Argentina, Australia, India, and Japan.

Despite a slow start for Team USA, the first half of the game stayed competitive, as both sides prevented the other from converting shots into goals. Katie Reinprecht ’13 scored the first goal of the game in the third quarter. Her teammate Michelle Kasold scored the second on a penalty corner attempt. Argentina’s Delfina Merino put her team on the board with three minutes remaining in the game, making the final score 2-1 in favor of Team USA.

The U.S. earned three points for the victory and now shares the top spot in its pool with Great Britain, which won its opener against Australia, 2-1.

The USA field hockey team claims a strong Tiger representation. Three Princetonians play on the USA squad: Julia Reinprecht ’14, Katie Reinprecht ’13, and Kathleen Sharkey ’13. The Reinprecht sisters are from Perkasie, Pa. and were teammates on the Princeton field hockey team. In 2010, they both debuted on the U.S. national team. Julia is a defender and Katie is a midfielder.

Kathleen Sharkey hails from Moosic, Pa. While at Princeton, she was the Division I leading goal scorer for the 2010 and 2012 seasons. She has been competing for Team USA since 2011 and plays forward/midfield.

Nate Franks ’07 serves on the coaching staff for the women’s national team, rounding out the Tiger presence on the squad.

Stay tuned as our three Tiger hockey players continue their Olympic run. They will take on No. 3 Australia on Monday.