Women's tennis finds success against Houston and Rice during difficult Texas trip

This spring break, the women’s tennis team (8-7 overall) traveled to Texas for three matches before conference play begins on Saturday. The Princeton squad returned from its trip having suffered one loss and grabbed two close wins. The Tigers’ sole loss came from the University of Texas, who defeated them 5-2. However, the Orange and Black would rebound to end the trip on a high note with wins over the University of Houston and Rice University.

Starting the tournament, Princeton faced the University of Texas at Austin. The Tigers previously matched off against the Longhorns during the Blue Gray National Tennis Classic, where the Tigers suffered a 2-4 loss. Unfortunately, last week’s encounter had a similar result, with Texas managing to beat Princeton 5-2.

Both times, Texas struck early by winning the double point. The Texan combinations of BreaunnaAddison and Dani Wagland and Neda Koprcina and Daniella Roldanproved too much for the Tigers, demonstrating strong performance. The teams won their sets 6-0 and 6-2 respectively.

The Longhorns continued their sterling performance by grabbing four singles sets. The two wins from Princeton came from juniors Caroline Joyce and Sivan Krems, who also won her singles set in the two teams’ previous encounter.

While the results were undoubtedly disappointing, the Tigers did not allow the early loss to affect their game. Princeton proved its toughness by going on to win its two later matches. The Princeton squad picked up its first win of the trip with a resounding 5-1 win over the University of Houston.

Due to weather concerns, play began with singles. The Tigers were a dominant force, winning four singles and ceding only one. However, the match was much closer than the score line would seem to indicate. Three of the matches went to the third set. Krems and Joyce both secured wins for the Tigers. Houston’s only win came from single player Despoina Vogasari, who put Houston on the scoreboard after a grueling three sets.

The Tigers would carry this momentum in their next match against Rice two days later. This time competition proved much tighter. Indeed, the Princeton squad only narrowly managed to pull out a win, edging out the Owls 4-3.

Princeton started the match on the right foot by claiming the doubles point. This would later prove crucial as the Tigers and the Owls would trade blow for blow in singles play. Rice landed the first punch in singles, as Rice’s Katherine Ip claimed the first set from the second spot. In the end,Joyce provided the Princeton squad with the winning point after three sets. This close win will provide the Tigers with crucial momentum as they head into conference play this week.

Princeton’s first opponent will be Ivy rival Penn. Last year, the Tigers managed to defeat the Quakers 6-1 with a dominant performance on the road. The Princeton squad will undoubtedly be looking to start Ivy competition on the right foot with a similarly emphatic victory in front of a home crowd. The Tigers will host Penn in the Lenz Tennis Center this Saturday at 1 p.m.