Women’s Basketball Sweeps Ivy Weekend, Will Challenge Penn for Ivy Title

This weekend, the Princeton women’s basketball team secured a chance to play for the Ivy League title, improving its conference record to 12-1 with wins over Harvard (14-12 overall, 9-4 Ivy) and Dartmouth (12-18, 7-7).

On Friday at Jadwin Gym, the Tigers led Harvard, 79-69. The hosts started with five straight points, but quickly fell behind in the first quarter. The Crimson stole the lead with a 14-2 run before the Orange and Black reclaimed the lead with 1:16 left in the period. The Tigers held onto their lead for the rest of the game, but continually felt the pressure from Harvard. It was in the fourth quarter that Princeton definitively separated itself from the visiting team. The Tigers scored a 12-0 run to take their leading margin into double digits and led by as many as 20 points.

It was another impressive showing by the starting seniors. Senior forward Annie Tarakchian posted her 19th career double-double, recording 11 rebounds and a career-high 24 points. Senior guard Michelle Miller contributed 20 points on 8-of-13 shooting, as well as six assists and four rebounds. Senior forward Alex Wheatley scored 12 points on five-of-six shooting. Senior guard Amanda Berntsen, while less impactful on the scoreboard, played a key offensive role with four assists.

Princeton shot 47.5 percent overall while holding Harvard to 36.9 percent and outrebounded its opponent, 45-33. On the Crimson side, senior guard Kit Metoyer scored 24 points and senior forward AnnMarie Healy posted 21 points and seven rebounds.

The next day was Senior Night for women’s basketball, as the program honored its commendable group of seniors: Amanda Berntsen, Michelle Miller, Annie Tarakchian, Alex Wheatley and Taylor Williams. Together, the seniors have an overall record of 97-21 and are 50-5 in the Ivy League.

The seniors won their 97th game by defeating Dartmouth, 68-42. The Tigers quickly separated themselves from their opponents in the first quarter by grabbing a 15-point edge with a 19-2 run. The solid play continued throughout the game with consistent scoring by the Orange and Black.

Princeton shot 50 percent from the floor overall and 58.3 percent in the second half. The Tigers held the Big Green to 29.4 percent shooting and out-rebounded them, 45-24.

Miller scored 13 points and guard Berntsen added 12 points. Forward Williams posted 10 points on five-of-seven shooting and five rebounds. Tarakchian recorded an impressive 11 rebounds.

The visiting team struggled to get baskets, as no player scored more than six points, despite a lot of time on the court. Dartmouth’s starting five combined spent more time on court than Princeton’s starting squad, but each of its players was held to below 30 percent shooting.

With another successful Ivy League weekend, Princeton women’s basketball will challenge Penn on Tuesday for the Ivy title and a spot in the NCAA Tournament. Penn is currently enjoying a fantastic season, having just won a program-record 23rd game in a season. The game will be at Jadwin at 5:30 p.m. on Tuesday, and every Princeton fan should be there to cheer on the Tigers.