We should speak

Recently the University rolled out the second part of the We Speak survey, designed to collect data on the prevalence of and attitudes toward sexual misconduct on Princeton’s campus so that the University can more effectively respond to such cases. As well-intentioned as it is, the survey is not sufficiently randomized to ensure an accurate representation of sexual misconduct on Princeton’s campus. In order to overcome this limitation, the University should introduce a shorter but mandatory sexual misconduct survey.

Last year, over half of the student population responded to the We Speak survey. The results of the survey were disheartening, to say the least — 20 percent of students reported that they had experienced inappropriate sexual behavior last year, 13 percent of students reported that they had experienced nonconsensual sexual contact and four percent of students reported that they had experienced nonconsensual sexual penetration.

It is entirely possible that these statistics are an accurate reflection of the rate of sexual assault on campus. However, that is not necessarily true. Since the sample size is self-selecting, Princeton students might have their own reasons for taking the survey, and this bias could potentially be skewing the results. For example, it seems likely that those who care most about the issue — who may personally have experienced sexual assault or know someone who has — will be most likely to take the survey. Other factors related to students’ personal circumstances could influence them to take or avoid the survey, meaning that the results are not necessarily representative of the entire student body’s experience.

The University should respond to this challenge by introducing another survey about sexual misconduct, which would be mandatory for all students. Of course, were the survey to become compulsory, it would have to be shorter and less exhaustive, because the students taking the survey would not necessarily be interested in spending time on it and so therefore might answer untruthfully just to rush through the answers. However, the benefits of having an understanding of the entire student body’s experience would outweigh the disadvantages of a truncated survey.

The University could easily incorporate a brief survey on sexual misconduct into either the academic check-in at the beginning of the year or one of the course evaluations given at the end of each semester. At both of these times, students already have to log in and fill out forms, so an additional survey would not be unreasonable. Additionally, by tying the survey to either course evaluations or to the check-in at the start of the fall semester, the University could ensure that everyone is required to participate. At the same time, the survey could remain anonymous, as it is under the current system.

The We Speak survey is an admirable attempt by the administration to understand the climate of sexual misconduct on campus. However, as long as it remains a voluntary survey, it can only provide an incomplete picture. The self-selecting nature of the survey respondents is a fatal flaw in its design. While the in-depth nature of the survey ensures that it still has a place on campus, the addition of a much shorter survey to be taken by all students on campus would help the administration and the rest of the Princeton community have a fuller understanding of the reality of the true experiences of the student body as a whole. Policies should be created or refined with an accurate understanding of the scope and nature of sexual misconduct on campus.

Zeena Mubarak is a Near Eastern Studies major from Fairfax, Va. She can be reached at zmubarak@princeton.edu.