Victory escapes softball at difficult San Diego Invitational

Despite a strong team showing and several promising performances from underclassmen, the Princeton softball team (3-17, 0-0 Ivy League) failed to garner a win at the San Diego State Invitational this past weekend, falling just short in its five games against a strong field.

The Tigers opened their weekend with a contest against the St. Mary’s Gaels (7-14, 0-0 in-conference). Although St. Mary’s managed a run in the first inning, Princeton held their opponent to that one score until the Gaels piled on two scores in the fourth inning and eventually added another pair of runs to walk off with a 5-1 victory. Princeton’s lone run was scored by freshman third baseman Alex Viscusi.

The next day, the Tigers would improve upon their initial showing and take their second opponent to the end of regulation and beyond. Against the Seattle Redhawks (8-13, 0-0 in-conference), Princeton came out fighting and responded to Seattle’s first run in the third inning with by a score of their own from junior outfielder Marissa Reynolds. Although the Redhawks responded with two more runs of their own to take a 3-1 lead, freshman outfielder Kaitlyn Waslawski hit a double in the sixth that brought fellow rookie Viscusi home and brought the Tigers to within one. After senior first baseman Kayla Bose helped sophomore outfielder Kylee Pierce home in the seventh to tie the score, Princeton seemed about to turn the corner. The Redhawks, however, would break the Tigers’ hearts in overtime, as Paige Bouska hit an RBI single to bring home Erika Rodgers for the winning score.

Princeton next faced powerhouse Fresno State (17-8-1, 0-0 in-conference). The Bulldogs came into the game ranked 22nd in the nation by ESPN and USA softball, and certainly looked it as they built a 5-0 lead in the first three innings. However, the Tigers would not be silenced. Bose struck back with a two-run single at the bottom of the third to cut Fresno State’s lead to three, and the two teams traded runs in the fourth before the Bulldogs opened up on scoring again by notching two runs in the fifth to make the score 8-3. Princeton came right back in the sixth, with a base hit from senior outfielder Kate Miller driving two Princeton runners home to cut the lead to 8-5. Then, Waslawski smashed a two-run homer, bringing the Tigers back to within one with the final inning to play. Hopes ran high, but Fresno State reasserted itself and held Princeton to only a single in the final stretch to hold on to a slim 8-7 win.

Against San Diego State (16-10, 0-0 in-conference), the Tigers built a 2-1 lead over three innings after scores from Reynolds and freshman Kaylee Grant. However, the Aztecs responded with an explosive fourth inning, piling in five runs and an error to transform the slim Princeton lead into a disheartening 6-2 deficit. San Diego State would not give up its advantage for the remainder of the game, smacking in an additional three runs to hand Princeton a 9-3 defeat.

In their final contest Sunday against Colorado State (14-12, 0-0 in-conference), Princeton got off to a strong early start after sophomore shortstop Danielle Dockx hit an RBI single in the second. However, the Rams responded by driving in a two-run homer in the bottom of the same inning, and Colorado State pitcher Holly Reinke threw eight strikeouts to hold the Tigers down in the 3-1 loss.

Despite the disappointing overall result, Princeton can take heart in the strong play of its underclassmen, with Waslawski and Viscusi showing poise and potential throughout the weekend when faced with difficult situations and formidable foes. The Tigers continue their season against Colgate this Saturday.