Men's Volleyball falls to NJIT

After a heart-breaking loss at home earlier in the week, the men’s volleyball team traveled to Newark to close their home-and-home series against the New Jersey Institute of Technology. While the Tigers managed to clinch a tight first set, 25-23, the Highlanders found their rhythm and won the match with 25-20, 25-29 and 25-21 wins.

This loss was a critical setback for the Tigers, who are looking to qualify for their fifth consecutive EIVA playoff spot. The Tigers (3-6 EIVA) currently rank fifth in the conference and have to move to the fourth seed in order to qualify for the postseason. Unfortunately, NJIT (6-3) currently holds the fourth position and these two recent losses have only widened the gap between the two teams.

The Tigers will be looking to move forward after their tough loss, exploring different areas to improve their game. “There are a couple things we should take away from the [NJIT] game,” senior outside hitter Zach Shaw said. “We played really well, our hitting stepped up. But one thing to take away is that even when we are playing decently well in terms of execution, we are still lacking in terms of the smaller details. So being able to focus on those smaller details and get better at them will be crucial.”

With five games left in the regular season, the Princeton squad will need to make each game count as they continue to fight for a playoff position. The Tigers and Highlanders are also travel partners, meaning that they will both conclude season play with away games against Harvard and Sacred Heart.

Although the Princeton squad has struggled as of late, the team continues to show its persistence in each match. While the outcome has not always swung their way, this has not deterred the Tigers from giving their best effort. “We consistently battle even when we are not having the best year in terms of outcomes,” Shaw said of the team. Hopefully, this persistence will pay off as Princeton faces future conference opponents.

The Tigers will continue the season with their last two home games against nationally-ranked Penn State and Saint Francis next Friday and Saturday, respectively.

While the Tigers have struggled against the Penn State Nittany Lions in the past, the team is hopeful that this year’s meeting will produce a favorable outcome. “This year Penn State does not have a huge hitter. They have a balanced team. They are not the best passing team, but they are still good at hitting,” Shaw commented. “We need to win out one-on-one blocks, make sure to keep the ball of the net and not get aced and focus on being steady.”

These next two wins will be crucial as Princeton looks to climb the EIVA ladder. In addition to the opportunity for two wins, the weekend will also give the Tigers an opportunity to build much-needed momentum heading into the end of the season.

With two exciting match-ups and the season on the line, this weekend’s doubleheader will be one to watch for sure.