Men's lacrosse falls just short against powerhouse Yale

The Princeton Tigers (2-5, 0-2 Ivy League) played like an entirely different team from the one that suffered a 20-10 drubbing at the hands of Penn. They nevertheless fell short against No. 3-ranked Yale by a heartbreaking score of 11-10.

The Tigers fell behind early in the game, with Yale piling in three goals in the game’s opening eight minutes, including one in their very first possession. Princeton responded quickly, notching a score to cut the Bulldog’s lead to two, but Yale freshman Joseph Sessa took a pass from sophomore Ben Reeves and extended the home team’s lead to three once more. However, the Tigers would get one more shot in before the first period, as sophomore Austin Sims found the back of the net to bring the score to 4-2 at the conclusion of the first.

Sloppy play by the Bulldogs in the ensuing quarter allowed Princeton to get back on its feet. The Tigers evened the score at four over the course of the quarter and briefly looked to take an early lead as they won a faceoff and put the ball into the hands of star junior midfielder Zack Currier. Unfortunately, the Bulldogs reasserted themselves, with senior Mark Glicini dealing Currier a massive check that forced a turnover and gave Yale a much-needed momentum shift — culminating in the home team retaking the lead with a goal to end the half up 5-4.

However, Princeton came into the second half ready to play, and the third quarter proved to be an intensely competitive contest. The two teams combined for seven goals and two lead changes , with Sims pulling through for the Tigers as he scored twice more in Princeton’s first two possessions to earn himself a hat trick and his team the lead. After two more Bulldog scores, junior attacker Gavin McBridge allowed Princeton to tie the score a second time as his goal moved the team to 7-7. However, perennial Yale star Reeves would score twice more for the Bulldogs, and Yale ended the third quarter still on top at 10-8.

The Tigers continued to chip at Yale’s lead throughout the final period, but the Bulldogs matched Princeton goal for goal and maintained a one-goal advantage throughout. The Tigers’ final chance to even the score came in the form of a possession with thirty seconds to play, but Princeton was called offsides and had to watch as a second consecutive Ivy game just barely slipped through its fingers.

Princeton can remain proud of its effort on both ends of the field: the Tigers fell by only one score despite being outshot by the Bulldogs 40-23, while their own score of 10 makes them the first team this season to reach double figures against the national powerhouse.

Princeton will continue its season at Brown next Saturday.