Tigers End Regular Season with Strong Finish over Columbia

The Tigers closed out their regular seasons on a strong note this weekend, as both the men's and women's swimming and diving teams topped Columbia at home.

The men's team (7-0, 7-0 Ivy), defeated the Lions (4-6, 3-4 Ivy) 180-112 to cap off a string of dominant performances. After dominating Harvard and Yale in the 200 medley relays last weekend, the foursome of senior Jack Pohlmann, senior Alexander Lewis, sophomore Ben Schafer and junior En-Wei Hu-Van Wright kicked off the day's competition with a bang by notching a Princeton win in that event. This first win was followed by Princeton victories across the board; freshmen Murphy McQuiet and Matt Harrington took the mile in 9:24.07 and the 200 fly and 100 free, respectively, while freshman Tyler Lin also got on the board in the 200 breast with a time of 2:04.95.

The old guard, too, did not disappoint. Senior Sandy Bole won the 50 free in 20.63, while consistent contributors such as sophomore Corey Okubo and senior Teo D'Alessandro won the 100 back and a special 100 IM event. Princeton's diving team got on the board as well, with juniorNathan Makarewiczclinching the 1-meter event with a score of 318.38 points. Additionally, the squad again proved their depth in the pool, with sophomore Liam Karas, freshman Cole Buese and junior Ben Schafer taking the first three spots in the 200 medley.

The final regular-season contest served as Princeton's senior night, but the plethora of scoring underclassmen have ensured that the Class of 2016 can depart knowing that their legacy remains in sure hands. Overall, the men's team took 13 out of the 17 events in an unquestionably dominant performance.

Perennial Columbia star Jayden Pantel won the 3-meter dive and the Lions nabbed first-place finishes in the 100 fly, 100 IM, and 200 free. However, such efforts were simply too little and too scattered to challenge the Tiger’s spread.

The men’s team will now look forward to the Ivy League Championships, held onFeb. 25-27. The Tigers have claimed four of the last five titles.

The women’s team didn't disappoint either. Although the margin of victory was a scant two points in the two teams’ last meeting, the Tigers snagged 13 out of 16 events on Fridayto win 171-115 at home.

The Princeton women matched the men to open the meet as their relay teams swept the first three spots in the 200 medley. From there, the Tigers (6-2, 6-1 Ivy) ran away with the day, taking six out of the first eight events. On senior night, senior Nikki Larson snagged the 200 free in 1:51.03 and the 100 free in 51.56, junior Kathleen Mulligan took the 100 back in 57.14 and the 200 back in 2:03.41, junior Olivia Chan won the 100 breast in 1.04.87 and sophomore Elsa Welshofer took the 200 fly in 2:03.08.

Other event wins also went to junior Katie Diller in the 50 free, freshman Monica McGrath in the 500 free and Welshofer in the 100 fly. The Tigers also won both diving events, and the foursome of Mulligan, Diller, sophomoreMaddy Veith andfreshmanElaina Guended the meet in style by dominating the 200 free relay in 1:35.54.

Columbia freshman Jessica Antilles won the 200 IM in 2:04.78, and MalloryMcKeontook the 200 breaststroke in 2:20.54 for the Lions.

The win places Princeton at 2ndplace in the final Ivy League regular season standings behind undefeated Yale. The women will look to pursue the Ivy League title at the conference championships on the weekend of Feb. 20.