In Homecoming showdown, Tigers fall in close matchup with Yale

The Princeton Tigers fought until the final drive before falling just short against Yale (6-3 overall, 3-3 Ivy League) by a score of 35-28.

The Tigers (5-4, 2-4) struck first, with junior quarterback Chad Kanoff capping off a nine-play, 82-yard drive with a seven-yard touchdown pass to junior receiver Trevor Osborne. The first half quickly turned into a dogfight between Kanoff, who led a strong passing attack that netted three touchdowns for the Tigers, and the Yale offensive line, which punished the Princeton defense on repeated runs and short passes.

As the second quarter wound down, Princeton’s defense seemed on the verge of a goal line stand, smothering the Bulldogs’ first three attempts from inside the 10 before quarterback Morgan Roberts punched it in on a fourth-down keeper.

Later, the Tigers seemed ready to pull ahead with a minute left in the half, but Kanoff was sacked on a third down at the Yale 33 for a fumble (recovered by Princeton). The teams would go to their locker rooms tied, 21-21.

As the second half began, Princeton initially appeared to have gained momentum: the Tiger defense forced Yale’s first two drives to end with a punt and a field goal. Then, with 2:21 to go in the third quarter, Kanoff fired a 53-yard touchdown pass to senior receiver Isaiah Barnes to put Princeton up, 28-24.

Yale’s ensuing drive advanced all the way to the Princeton 17, but the defense held strong and the Bulldogs were again forced to settle for a field goal in a huge stop.

However, with 9:01 remaining in the game and Princeton barely clinging to a 28-27 lead, Kanoff threw a costly interception. The pass, intended for senior receiver Seth DeValve, was picked off by Yale cornerback Spencer Rymiszewski, who returned it 35 yards to the Princeton 44. Yale then pushed ahead with a three-minute drive on the ground, finishing with a 19-yard touchdown pass from Roberts. The Bulldogs successfully converted for two after the score, leaving the Tiger offense with a 35-28 deficit as they faced a crucial drive.

Princeton began with a five-yard run from senior running back DiAndre Atwater, and Kanoff continued to build momentum with quick passes to Barnes and Atwater that brought the Tigers to the Yale 47. However, the Yale defense stalled Princeton’s next few pass attempts. Facing a fourth-and-six situation with 3:30 remaining in the game, Kanoff threw his second pick of the game to Yale linebacker Darius Manora. The visitors successfully ran the clock down to escape with a victory in a grueling contest.

Princeton was plagued with difficulties on the ground, averaging only 3.5 yards per rush against a Yale defensive line known for its size and strength. The loss leaves the Tigers with a 2-4 conference record as they look to conclude their season against Dartmouth next Saturday.