Under Morey, Sprint Football's search for wins goes on

This article is part of our 2015 Fall Preview

The sprint football team has already been on campus for more than a week now and opened their season with the annual alumni game on Sunday. This is the team’s second year with coach Sean Morey at the helm, and the team will look for its first win with their new coach. Morey, an Ivy league product from Brown who was drafted by the Patriots and whose stops in the NFL included the Pittsburgh Steelers and Philadelphia Eagles, will look to continue the team's improvement during his tenure after seven Tigers were recognized as All-CSFL selections.

The varsity schedule looks more favorable this year. After opening up their season on the road against the Chestnut Hill Griffins, the team will return to Princeton for a tough home match up against Army. They then go back on the road to face Ivy League rivals Cornell and Penn before finishing the season at home with another game against Chestnut Hill.

The hope for improvement this year lays mainly on the shoulders of the offense. Princeton sprint football only scored 13 points over five games last season compared to the opponents' 282. Those two touchdowns were both passes, as the team’s attack was dominated last year by passing. In fact, the running game actually averaged negative rushing yards per game last year. As weigh-ins approach for the team, hopefully this year’s offensive line will have beefed up to improve their run-blocking ability.

With eight incoming freshmen on the roster, there is plenty of potential for new playmakers on both side of the ball. The defense will need new talent and old to shore up its run defense, which was gashed for 5.7 yards per carry last season and gave up 26 rushing touchdowns. Look to see the sprint team in their three home games this season. The home opener will be Friday, Sept. 25, in Princeton Stadium at 7 p.m.