Dining halls, stores close in response to measles case

The University notified certain members of the faculty and staff on Thursdaythat they will be required to provide proof of protection against measles before they are allowed to return to work.

The University previously said on Wednesday that a student had been diagnosed with a suspected case of measles.

The notified faculty and staff were born after Dec. 31, 1956, and may have been in buildings where the affected student visited while contagious.

Only dining operations have been affected so far by the requirement that employees provide proof of immunization, University spokesperson Martin Mbugua said. It is currently unknown whether classes will be affected, he said, adding the University should have a clearer picture of how campus operations will be affected by Friday morning, since most notified employees received the message late on Thursday.

Forbes College Dining Hall, the C-Store, Café Vivian, Studio 34 and the Witherspoon Café were closed Thursday evening, Mbugua said. Thursday night late meal operated in a limited capacity, he added.

Whitman College Dining Hall, Forbes College Dining Hall, Studio 34 and the Frick Chemistry Café will be closed on Friday, Mbugua said.

Campus Dining director Smitha Haneef deferred comment to Mbugua.

Other offices or work units will reorganize shifts and assignments to ensure they continue operation, Mbugua noted.

Much of the Forbes staff has to cover shifts temporarily in other dining halls around campus that have been left vacant,Patrick Caddeau, Dean of Forbes College, said in an email to students.

Caddeau did not respond to a request for comment.

The University is responding to the town health department’s requirement that anyone who may have been exposed to the case of measles not work on campus until they prove they are protected against the virus. The New Jersey Department of Health also made a similar recommendation.

Town health officer Jeffrey Grosser and the New Jersey Department of Health did not respond to a request for comment.

Notified employees will have the option of showing proof of immunization or taking a blood test with University Health Services or their physician, Mbugua said.

The list of buildings in which people may have been exposed to the virus has expanded since the University sent its first notice on the suspected measles caseon Wednesday. New additions include Butler College Dining Hall, Wilson College Dining Hall and Rockefeller College Dining Hall.

The University is also providing specific times of day at each building during which the affected student was known to be there.

LianneSullivan-Crowley, vice president for human resources,Deborah Prentice, dean of the faculty, John Kolligian, Jr., executive director of University Health Services, andPeter Johnsen, M.D., director of Medical Services at University Health Services did not respond to a request for comment.

News editor Jacob Donnelly contributed reporting.

Clarification: This article has been updated to clarify thatCampus Dining director Smitha Haneef deferred comment to University spokesperson Martin Mbugua. This article has also been updated to clarify that the student with a suspected case of measles was known to be in certain locations on campus.