News & Notes: Town of Princeton begins deer management program

The town of Princeton has announced it will conduct “lethal deer removal and deer management” on various private properties, according to a press release by the Princeton Police Department.

The New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife was issued a Community Deer Management Permit for the program in mid-January. The hunt itself will be carried out by White Buffalo, Inc.

The deer hunting will occur in various town-owned properties, as well as on private property. The release also said that public operations will take place only after dusk, when the parks are closed, and will be completed before the parks reopen the next morning. The PPD will supervise and patrol the area during the hunts.

Princeton has been hunting deer regularly since 2000 in an effort to reduce an unchecked deer population that had caused a number of motor vehicle accidents. White Buffalo, Inc. has been hired all but one year since.

A total of 160 deer were killed in early 2013, according to The Princeton Packet.

The Packet also reported earlier this month that the town was also considering managing the local coyote population. According to Princeton Councilman Bernard Miller, Princeton would also have an “information campaign for how people can coexist with coyotes.”