Bicker clubs breakdown by gender

Almost 60 percent of the students accepted to Tiger Inn this spring are male. This number represents a slight decrease in the number of new male members compared to last spring, when the number of male students accepted to TI represented 62.5 percent of the new membership.

Approximately 53 percent of students accepted to Tower Club were female, the bicker club with the largest percentage of new female members.

Bicker clubs breakdown by gender

TI president Ryan Cash ’15 did not respond to a request for comment. The numbers were provided by outgoing president Chris Hamm ’14.

In total, 52.5 percent, or 296 of the 564 students who joined a selective eating club are male, according to an independent review of membership lists obtained by The Daily Princetonian as well as information from club officers. The other 268 students, or approximately 47.5 percent of those who gained admission, are female.

Cap & Gown Club, Cottage Club, Ivy Club and TI accepted mostly male members this year, while Tower and Cannon Dial Elm Club accepted more females than males.

Males make up 51 percent of the overall undergraduate population, according to the University’s enrollment statistics.

Cap, the most selective and most bickered club both this year and last year, accepted 55 males and 43 females, outgoing president Justin Perez ’14 said. Perez said Cap does not take gender into account when considering bickerees and added that the gender ratio was also relatively even among the students that were not accepted.

“We look at each bickeree individually, and the way the numbers come out are the way the numbers come out,” he said, noting that Cap was the first club to open up to women.

Tower accepted 62 female students and 54 male students, according to president John Whelchel ’15. More female than male bickerees joined Towerlast year as well.

Whelchel explained that the gender ratio among new members was arbitrary.

“You have to keep in mind that all of the decisions — in terms of when we take people — are group decisions,” he said. “It’s really just a function of the people who come out.”

Cannon president Connor Kelley ’15 said the club accepted 52 females and 46 males, but declined to comment further. Former Cannon president Connor Clegg ’14 did not respond to multiple requests for comment.

Cottage accepted 38 female students and 47 male students, according to sources within the club. Cottage accepted 88 new members, according to previous reporting, so three students are unaccounted for.

Former Cottage president John McGee ’14 did not respond to a request for comment.

Ivy accepted an almost even ratio of 32 females and 34 males. Former Ivy president Thatcher Foster ’14 did not respond to a request for comment.

Correction: Due to a reporting error, an earlier version of this article stated that the Cap & Gown Club first admitted women in 1972 and attributed this statement to outgoing club president Justin Perez '14. The 1972 date was erroneously attributed to Perez. In addition, this information could not be independently verified. The 'Prince' regrets the errors.

Comments powered by Disqus