Tigers drop 2 after tie with No. 8 Quinnipiac

The women’s hockey team tied No. 8 Quinnipiac just before Thanksgiving break on Tuesday, before losing twice againstthe University of Minnesota on Saturday and Sunday after the holiday.

The Tigers (5-6-2 overall, 4-4-1 ECAC) began the weekend playing against the Bobcats (12-2-5, 3-2-4) at home on Tuesday evening. After 65 minutes of play that included an overtime, the Bobcats and the Tigers found themselves in a 1-1 tie.

Quinnipiac scored in the first period and held the one-point lead for most of the game. Princeton’s sophomore forward Cristin Shanahan was able to tie up the game 12:55 into the third period, and the Tigers held the tie until the end of regulation play and into the overtime.

In the first game of the doubleheader against No. 1 Minnesota (17-1, 11-1 WCHA), Princeton lost in a shutout 6-0. The Gophers led the Tigers from the first period and held on to the lead throughout the game. Not only did Minnesota outscore Princeton 6-0, but the former outshot the latter 48-11.

The second game against Minnesota brought another loss to the Tigers, who managed to narrowly avoid a repeat of Saturday’s shutout with a final score of 9-1.

Junior forward Brianna Leahy was able to get the puck to meet the back of the net 12:23 into the second period, bringing the score at that point to 5-1. Despite nearly doubling the number of shots the team was able to put on goal compared to Saturday, Princeton was unable to get another goal for the rest of the game. Again, the Gophers outshot the Tigers, this time 53-20.

Despite the losses, sophomore goalie Kimberly Newell had 113 saves over the course of the three games — 44 against Minnesota on Sunday, 35 on Saturday and 34 saves against Quinnipiac on Tuesday.

The Tigers will take on Rensselaer at home in Baker Rink on Friday at 4 p.m.