DeZarn's trial for marijuana possession postponed to Jan. 23

The trial of Donald DeZarn,senior operations manager for Butler/Wilson Dining Services, has been postponed, according to a press release posted by a Philadelphia marijuana reform organization. Originally scheduled forThursday, it is now scheduled forJan. 23, 2014.

DeZarn faces federal charges after being arrested in late August for the possession of marijuana on federal property. He allegedly smoked a joint while speaking at the monthly Smoke Down Prohibition rally in front of Independence Hall in Philadelphia. This was his second arrest for marijuana possession; the first occurred last May at another Smoke Down Prohibition rally.

DeZarn faces a fine of up to $1,000 or up to six months in federal prison, as does his co-defendant, Chris Goldstein. Goldstein, the co-chair of PhillyNORML, also partook in the August protest.

PhillyNORML is the Philadelphia chapter of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, which created a defense fund to subsidize DeZarn’s and Goldstein’s criminal defense attorneys.

DeZarnran for New Jersey State Senatein November on a platform of legalizing medical marijuana but ultimately lost to Democrat Linda Greenstein and Republican Peter Inverso.