Lawnparties preview spring 2013

Quadrangle Club: Kingsfoil, 3 p.m.; Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, 4 p.m. 

Agent Cody Banks is back and he's on the drums! Frankie Muniz joins Jordan Davis, Tristan Martin and Tim Warren in the indie rock band Kingsfoil. The band aims to capture the intricacies of life and relate them to the audience through their lyrics and music. They have toured with bands like "Third Eye Blind," "We the Kings," "Chiddy Bang" and "The Ting Tings." Since their entrance onto the music scene in 2007, Kingsfoil has delivered feel-good music to a growing fanbase. 

YouTube it: "What Your Mother Taught You," "American Veins"

— Katie Bauman '15

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros  

While this rag-tag band of free-spirited musicians doesn't quite resemble the headliners of recent years, the feel-good, earnest sound of Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros is perfect for the daytime revelry of Lawnparties. The band is familiar with festival settings after appearances at Coachella, Lollapalooza and Bonnaroo. Like their hit single "Home," the music of Edward Sharpe has been characterized as "happy hippie music," filled with upbeat, devil-may-care instrumentals, chanting, and wild interjections. However, the band's sophomore album Here, is a bit more subdued, verging on quiet at points, maximizing the impact of the explosions of their instruments. Sure, you won’t be bumping and grinding to their music, but that’s no excuse to miss out on the charismatic and honest performance of Alex Ebert’s messianic-persona, Edward Sharpe, and friends. Take a moment to relax and celebrate the end of the school year with some chill vibes.

YouTube It: "Janglin," "Man on Fire" 

— Christine Wang '14 

Cloister Inn: Chris Winward Band, 1 p.m.

Covering songs from a diverse array of genres — from country to 80s rock to rap, from Zac Brown Band to Keith Urban to AC/DC — Chris Winward Band has something to offer everyone. Since his arrival on the college music scene, Chris Winward has garnered quite a following. He draws inspiration from the ocean and his music has earthy tones that add a distinct character. Expect a great country rock sound with Texan and American flavors from this college-favorite!

YouTube It: "College Days” 

— Annie Tao '16

Charter Club: We Are Scientists, 1:30 p.m.

Though they were founded in Claremont by three Californian college students, We Are Scientists has become known as America’s own British indie rock band. Their latest album, “Barbara,” offers myriad tunes that you can rock out to. With a total of four studio albums that have made their mark on the UK charts, this group has been compared to The Killers, Franz Ferdinand, The Editors and numerous other post-punk revival favorites. If you know who The Libertines are and miss them to pieces, We Are Scientists will undoubtedly be worth the trek to Charter.

YouTube It: “Nobody Move, Nobody Get Hurt,” “After Hours” 

— Lin King '16 

Cannon Club: The Bayside Tigers, 10 a.m. 

The Bayside Tigers are a 90s cover-band that jams out funky, feel-good tunes on neon-striped guitars. In their live shows uploaded to YouTube, you can find this NY-based group covering artists ranging from the Backstreet Boys to Radiohead to Weezer. This Sunday, put your shutter shades on and head over to Cannon to be transported to a simpler time, when cargo pants were acceptable and you spent your free time dissing peeps on AIM.

YouTube it: "Baby One More Time" and "All the Small Things"

— Vivian Ludford '15

Tiger Inn: The DeLoreans, 12 p.m.

This Sunday, come see the intersection of "Ferris Bueller’s Day Off" and "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" in TI's front yard. That's right — fan-favorite 80s and 90s cover band The DeLoreans are back! Known for their over-the-top style and funky tunes, this band can make the 80s and 90s look cool. Don’t miss out on belting Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin’” and Cyndi Lauper’s “Girl’s Just Want to Have Fun” with the rest of your Vineyard Vines-clad friends. We dare you to try to stop your dancing feet as the energy and excitement of the DeLoreans blasts out of the speakers. Come on over to TI’s lawn to party like it’s (1980 to) 1999! 

YouTube It: Just listen to the soundtrack of any John Hughes movie 

— Amelia Warshaw '16 

Tower Club: Chrome Sparks, 1 p.m.; Reptar, 2 p.m.   

Chrome Sparks, aka Pittsburgh native Jeremy Malvin, is an up-and-coming DJ whose music can be recognized by its lush, ambient mixes. Inspired by a background in classical percussion and an obsession with synthesizers, Chrome Spark's music is reminiscent of Flying Lotus but with a more futuristic spin.While Malvin works on the recordings alone, he recently has begun performing live, and will be joined by two of his close friends for the performance. 

Youtube it: "Marijuana," "Send the Pain On"

Reptar, a band based in Athens, Ga., claims to have chosen their name because it "was the second stupidest band name we have ever heard," following the initial band name suggestion of Invisible Boyfriend. Their humorous dynamic bleeds into their music, which ranges from African Music to psych-pop, converging in a blend of feel-good, summer-ready sounds with deeper, poetic lyrics. Channeling the funk of Prince and the dance-pop vibes of Passion Pit, Reptar's live performances have been known to get a crowd moving since they formed in 2008. 

Youtube It: "Rainbounce," "Houseboat Babies" 

— Lillian Xu '16

Terrace Club: Sensemaya, 1 p.m.;  Rubblebucket, 2:15 p.m. 

Founded in 2002 by Princeton students, Sensemaya Afrobeat All-Stars knows how to bring the funk. This band fuses jazz, reggae and afro-beats to bring refreshing alternative music to Lawnparties. Sensemaya is known for their crazy live shows on campus. They love the response they get from student audiences. This band released their first album, "Weapon of the Future," in 2011. Drawing inspiration from Fela Kuti and his sons as well as the more contemporary Antibalas and Budos Band, Sensemaya blends old and new beats for a satisfying sound. If you are missing the Marley, bummed without your Brown, or craving a unique beat to get your body moving, groove your way over to Terrace. 

YouTube it: "Mouth to Mind," "Threshold"

— Katie Bauman '15

Rubblebucket hails from Brooklyn “via Boston and Vermont” and gained some significant national attention in the past year, with appearances on Jimmy Kimmel Live and Bonnaroo. Now gracing the stage at Terrace, Rubblebucket’s music is an eclectic mix of Afro-beat, dance pop and rock. Kalmia Traver’s vocals and Alex Toth’s trumpet soar over funky beats that will have you jumping and swaying along. Come to Terrace for Rubblebucket's positive energy and catchy tunes, perfect for a sunny Lawnparties afternoon.

YouTube it: "Came out of a Lady"

— Lakshmi Davey '15

Cottage Club: Snackbar Jones, TBA

Snackbar Jones is a cover band with an extensive song list that spans a wide variety of styles, including but not limited to rock, pop, country, alternative, punk, disco, ska and oldies. Band members Frank Hohl, Zane Shenk, Aaron Barlow and Tony Jones have rocked their way up and down the East Coast from Rochester to Key West. In the past, they've played with names such as the Beach Boys and Salt-n-Pepa. 

YouTube it: "Jessie's Girl" 

— Caroline Hertz '15

Cap & Gown Club: The Wild Bohemians, 10 a.m. 

Head to Cap and join The Wild Bohemians in a vibrant musical amalgam of Dixieland, Mardi Gras Street Music, Jazz and R&B! Hailing from Philadelphia, The Wild Bohemians have brought dance and joy with their music since 1984. With a fun personality that ranges from wearing costumes to letting fans play along with literally ANYTHING that makes noise, you can be absolutely sure that you won’t have a dull moment here.

YouTube It: “You Are my Sunshine” 

— Aoi Senju '16 

Colonial Club: Anjulie, 1:30 p.m. 

Drawing from our northern neighbors, Colonial is bringing a Canadian talent to grace their lawn this spring: Anjulie. Anjulie has been writing music from a young age and draws on a fusion of personal experiences and genre-blending when composing. Singer-songwriter Anjulie's music can be described as alternative pop. Anjulie toured with Jesse McCartney in 2009 and has since toured with various artists including Shwayze and B.o.B. Her music has been featured on the CW's "Melrose Place" and "The Vampire Diaries." A sultry voice accompanied by some dance-inducing beats can't go wrong; be sure to check this act out on Sunday. 

YouTube It: "Addicted2Me", "Boom", "You and I"

— Hannah Park '15 

Ivy Club: Blue Label, 1 p.m. 

Thirsty for some premium entertainment? Quench your thirst for quality tunes with Blue Label, a cover band that is self-described as "corporate friendly yet cheese-free." Decide for yourself what exactly that means when you Johnny Walker over to Ivy and take a swig of their music — we guarantee you won't regret it the next day. Featuring a strong mix of music ranging from "Get Low" to "At Last," the band is sure to have you dancing without inhibitions. Be sure to help yourself to a handle of Blue Label. No chaser necessary.

YouTube It: "Get Low," "Shook Me All Night"

— Urvija Banerji '15 and Seth Merkin Morokoff '16