Zoya Amir Gauhar

Prof. Kang and Dr. Sheng.jpeg

Kang Lab reports new experimental therapy with potential to stop cancer spread

Kang’s lab focuses on two central questions in cancer treatment: why do some patients develop metastatic disease, and why they are so difficult to treat?

genomics-lobby-png

3 Princeton faculty win ‘High-Risk, High-Reward’ grants for bacteria research

Princeton professors Coleen T. Murphy, Mohamed Abou Donia, and Zemer Gitai were awarded the grant for their research in microbiology. The grant typically funds projects which would otherwise struggle to receive grant money through traditional means due to the risks associated with conducting them. 

David N Cropped.png

Institute for Advanced Study appoints David Nirenberg GS ’92 as new director

Nirenberg, the current dean of the Divinity School and a professor of medieval history at the University of Chicago, will assume his new position in July 2022.

preview tents.jpeg

Virtual Princeton Preview aims to recreate campus community ‘without the big tent’

In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, Preview, which normally gives high school admittees two days in April to experience campus life, has been converted into a month-long virtual platform for students to get to know the University.  

Kang lab discovers new organelle involved in cancer spread

“By understanding how DACT1 drives the formation of such biomolecular condensates, or ‘organelles,’ we may come up with new ways to prevent or [treat] metastatic cancers,” wrote Yibin Kang, Professor of Molecular Biology, in an email to The Daily Princetonian. 

KeithWailoo-OfficialPhoto-Cropped.jpg

Keith Wailoo wins Dan David Prize for work in the history of medicine

Wailoo was specifically recognized for his historical scholarship centered in race, science, and health equity and the links between social structures and disease. Wailoo has served on health policy committees and actively discusses health equity using a historical lens to guide his work. 

Prud'homme and students working on the Gates project.

Robert Prud’homme named inaugural winner of Princeton’s Dean for Research Award for Distinguished Innovation

“Professor Prud’homme has consistently found creative ways of applying his fundamental research in complex fluids to the solution of important practical problems, such as finding more efficient ways of delivering therapeutic drugs to the body, ” Debenedetti wrote.

More articles »

zoya-10.jpg

Joy. This shot is one of my top favorites from the series, quite possibly because it somehow emulates the sunlight I am so used to shooting with. Alongside wanting the photos to reflect fierceness, I wanted the photos to additionally highlight the pure joy of performance.

NEWS | 04/20/2024

zoya-8-9.jpg

Movement: A big component of the Raqs show is their use of drapery, scarves, and other props, giving me the ability to have a lot of fun with shutter speed while shooting their performance. Fast shutter speeds have the ability to freeze fast movements when timed well, and I tried to use this skill to give a sense of movement and rhythm to a subset of the photos.

NEWS | 04/20/2024

zoya-5.jpg

EMERALD. Alongside my own preferences, it was important to create work that was reflective of the show. The 2020 Raqs show was entitled “Emerald,” with jewel-stone-themed numbers dominating the performances. The use of the dynamic lighting that was a part of the show was instrumental in creating work reflective of the theme.

NEWS | 04/20/2024

zoya-3-4.jpg

Grace: A solo performance in any setting is an intimate moment between the performer and the audience. Having the opportunity to capture the solo performances as the sole member of the audience during the dress rehearsal allowed for the intimacy of this moment to be reflected in the photos. An interesting dynamic — the soloist was being captured by the sole eye in the audience.

NEWS | 04/20/2024

zoya-2.jpg

Expression. I took over 2000 shots the night of the dress rehearsal. Photographing fast movement in low lighting conditions can be a tricky business, but when it came down to narrowing down the shots that would make the final cut, emotion played a key role in my decision. Here, the viewer sees an intimate, determined expression, balanced out by dynamic lighting.

NEWS | 04/20/2024

More media »