Friday, September 30

Previous Issues

Try our latest crossword

Mohan Setty-Charity

Headshot by Julian Gottfried / The Daily Princetonian

mayu_usg.jpeg

Reactions: USG considers eliminating referenda

“If the USG wishes to fulfill its purported preamble dedication to ‘the proposition that students must be included in the making of decisions that affect them,’ they should leave referenda as they are.”

Alexander through Blair

Secluded campuses can allow for connection with local communities

“Moving to a shared campus and living among others undergoing the same experience is comforting and is a source of peer support during a time of extreme change.”

Racial Justice.jpg

More heat than light: performative activism, on campus and beyond

“Each of us has causes that are dear to us. But when we are confronted by those focusing on Instagram posts or publicly inflammatory comments instead of on the issues themselves, we must remind ourselves not to lose sight of why we care in the first place, and of the hard, nuanced work that is necessary to achieve tangible progress.”

Morrison Hall, home of the U. undergraduate admissions office

Reactions: Princeton admits Class of 2026, won’t tell us acceptance rate

On Thursday, prospective members of Princeton’s Great Class of 2026 received their admissions decision. Nevertheless, the University has declined to release any statistics about accepted students. We asked columnists for their opinions on this unusual decision.

McCosh 50 Lecture Hal

Students need to understand current events. The classroom is the solution.

“Creating avenues for students to do this throughout their time at Princeton will lead to better informed conversations and beliefs about current events, and make classes as relevant to students as possible.”

mccosh-50 Candace Do (1).jpg

Free speech rules cannot be written without marginalized voices at the table

When we elevate more people from marginalized communities to positions where they can contribute to the conversation on what constitutes a real threat and harassment, we may have a more full and nuanced understanding of what speech should and should not be protected.

Princeton should stay test optional, for now

“There are valid arguments both for and against standardized tests, but given longstanding claims about promoting diversity and inclusion, continuing this test-optional experiment for another year will shed light on the best practices for the future.”

fitz randolph gate

We must maintain Princeton’s values in Venture Forward

“ Princeton needs to make sure that any contributions that come in actually are to advance the University’s values. But beyond that, it is important that the fundamental values continue to evolve, and that we continue to support our ever-changing student body; now, and in the future.”

morrison.jpg

Reckoning with our ranking

“We are tremendously privileged to attend a school that allows us to make a real difference in the world, and can use this opportunity to do something good. Princeton’s ranking gives us opportunities that others do not have. Take these opportunities with open arms, and help Princeton remind our community and the world the actual reasons that we are special.”

More articles »