Over the summer, The Daily Princetonian will be publishing new content less frequently. Regular daily content will resume in the fall. Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.

Try our latest crossword

Mohan Setty-Charity

Headshot by Julian Gottfried / The Daily Princetonian

Racial Justice.jpg

More heat than light: performative activism, on campus and beyond

“Each of us has causes that are dear to us. But when we are confronted by those focusing on Instagram posts or publicly inflammatory comments instead of on the issues themselves, we must remind ourselves not to lose sight of why we care in the first place, and of the hard, nuanced work that is necessary to achieve tangible progress.”

Morrison Hall, home of the U. undergraduate admissions office

Reactions: Princeton admits Class of 2026, won’t tell us acceptance rate

On Thursday, prospective members of Princeton’s Great Class of 2026 received their admissions decision. Nevertheless, the University has declined to release any statistics about accepted students. We asked columnists for their opinions on this unusual decision.

McCosh 50 Lecture Hal

Students need to understand current events. The classroom is the solution.

“Creating avenues for students to do this throughout their time at Princeton will lead to better informed conversations and beliefs about current events, and make classes as relevant to students as possible.”

mccosh-50 Candace Do (1).jpg

Free speech rules cannot be written without marginalized voices at the table

When we elevate more people from marginalized communities to positions where they can contribute to the conversation on what constitutes a real threat and harassment, we may have a more full and nuanced understanding of what speech should and should not be protected.

Princeton should stay test optional, for now

“There are valid arguments both for and against standardized tests, but given longstanding claims about promoting diversity and inclusion, continuing this test-optional experiment for another year will shed light on the best practices for the future.”

fitz randolph gate

We must maintain Princeton’s values in Venture Forward

“ Princeton needs to make sure that any contributions that come in actually are to advance the University’s values. But beyond that, it is important that the fundamental values continue to evolve, and that we continue to support our ever-changing student body; now, and in the future.”

morrison.jpg

Reckoning with our ranking

“We are tremendously privileged to attend a school that allows us to make a real difference in the world, and can use this opportunity to do something good. Princeton’s ranking gives us opportunities that others do not have. Take these opportunities with open arms, and help Princeton remind our community and the world the actual reasons that we are special.”

Reparations.png

What local reparations programs must consider

“A reparations program is difficult to manage, but smaller scale projects can help individuals and hopefully be the first part of a broader movement of paying back for problems of the past. With proper understanding of the problems involved, we can continue to work towards economic and racial parity and justice in the future.”

A view of Firestone Plaza through East Pyne

The benefits of increased transparency on COVID-19 punishments

“Had the University offered clearer messaging as to the way in which it was punishing violations beyond this semester, it could have encouraged many students to make different choices.”

More articles »

Most Popular