Tuesday, January 25

Previous Issues

Try our latest crossword
Listen to Daybreak for the day’s biggest stories

Mohan Setty-Charity

Headshot by Julian Gottfried / The Daily Princetonian

Morrison Hall, home of the U. undergraduate admissions office.
Nick Donnoli / Office of Communications

Princeton should stay test optional, for now

“There are valid arguments both for and against standardized tests, but given longstanding claims about promoting diversity and inclusion, continuing this test-optional experiment for another year will shed light on the best practices for the future.”

FitzRandolph Gate.
Courtesy of the Office of Communications.

We must maintain Princeton’s values in Venture Forward

“ Princeton needs to make sure that any contributions that come in actually are to advance the University’s values. But beyond that, it is important that the fundamental values continue to evolve, and that we continue to support our ever-changing student body; now, and in the future.”

Morrison Hall, where The Office of Admission is located. 
Courtesy of the Office of Communications

Reckoning with our ranking

“We are tremendously privileged to attend a school that allows us to make a real difference in the world, and can use this opportunity to do something good. Princeton’s ranking gives us opportunities that others do not have. Take these opportunities with open arms, and help Princeton remind our community and the world the actual reasons that we are special.”

Sydney Peng / The Daily Princetonian

What local reparations programs must consider

“A reparations program is difficult to manage, but smaller scale projects can help individuals and hopefully be the first part of a broader movement of paying back for problems of the past. With proper understanding of the problems involved, we can continue to work towards economic and racial parity and justice in the future.”

Jon Ort and Mark Dodici / Daily Princetonian  

The benefits of increased transparency on COVID-19 punishments

“Had the University offered clearer messaging as to the way in which it was punishing violations beyond this semester, it could have encouraged many students to make different choices.”

Faculty of the future: Broadening the metrics for hiring and promotion

Princeton can make a bold statement among universities that it does not only rely on awards or similarly narrow external metrics in making decisions about hiring and promotion. Instead, broader criteria could draw more professors from all different backgrounds, who can bring in new ideas, instruct and inspire the next generation of scholars, and help the University live up to its ideals.

More articles »