Following his history of consistently putting out material, Feed Me is back with his new EP, A Giant Warrior Descends on Tokyo! This 4-track release features plenty of Feed Me’s classic dubstep and electro sounds, along with some new influences and experimentation.

The EP has a slow start, with a fairly average electro house track in “Different World.” While the constant melodious repetition of “you live in that different world” by a robotic synth is tastefully used throughout the song, the drops lack punchiness, resulting in a flat track overall.

However, Feed Me quickly picks it up with “Wuzzle,” the single originally released to tease the album. Starting with a droning vocal sample line that persists alongside an extremely long build-up for the entire first minute, the song finally drops with a nicely demented bass line. While a bit strange at first, the beat becomes infectious, while Feed Me weaves in tribal-sounding samples and instruments. Granted, these are not completely original themes for an EDM track, Feed Me keeps the track interesting by balancing a simplistic song structure with varying layers of instrumental variety.

Feed Me’s strong management of bass lines continues to shine in the next track, “Spilt Milk.” Again, the structure of the song is uncomplicated, but Feed Me keeps it moving with a prominent bass line beneath building synths until the build-up. An abrupt transition, the build-up briefly reiterates a consistent vocal motif before unleashing into a nasty Oliver Heldens-like drop. While the synths are obviously tweaked a bit, the groove is very reminiscent of tracks like “Koala.” However, Feed Me deviates from Heldens’ style by injecting his own bass sounds and stuttering the rhythm every fourth measure—a simple but effective touch.

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/186785402" params="color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false" width="100%" height="166" iframe="true" /]

Closing out the album is “High Noon,” a title appropriate for the somewhat old-fashioned guitar sound the track opens with. Without too much of an introduction, the track dives into the drop. Unfortunately, the first drop is a bit boring, but it sets an important foundation for later drops to embellish. After momentarily returning to the opening’s guitar lines, Feed Me delivers on his second round with a super tight drop. As the track progresses, Feed Me continues to alter the beat and drops, and finally returns to his roots with his twisted dubstep wobbles.

Running a total length of only 18 minutes, A Giant Warrior Descends on Tokyo is not the best indication of Feed Me’s future direction, but there is definitely a lot of promise in the majority of the EP. There is also an incredible amount of percussive diversity throughout the EP, both in regards to the rhythm and the instruments he chose to use and sample. While A Giant Warrior Descends on Tokyo remains true to Feed Me’s signature style, this EP also goes far beyond being a mere repackaging of wobbles and drops—a pattern some of his contemporaries have fallen prey to. Luckily for everyone else, this EP should serve as an indicator that Feed Me is far from exhausting his creativity, instead showcasing a tremendous amount of versatility while staying true to his electro and dubstep spheres.