tina-fey-amy-poehler-golden-globes-01122014-08-1024x775

Last night's Golden Globes ceremony marked the start of the 2014 awards season, and boy were we excited to see all the dresses everyone wore! Below are just some of our favorite (and least favorite) looks from the yesterday evening's event. Come back after the Grammys this Sunday to see which looks stood out then.

BEST-DRESSED

71st Annual Golden Globe Awards - Arrivals

Drew Barrymorein Monique Lhullier

Second-time mother-to-be Drew Barrymore was positively glowing in this petal-pink Monique Lhullier gown. The adorable flower appliques and sheer flowing train make an otherwise simple dress eye-catching, and her gorgeous marbled pink clutch, sleek hair, and punchy red lipstick add to an altogether winning look.

Cate Blanchett

Cate Blanchettin Armani Privé

Cate Blanchett’s Armani Privé dress was mind-bogglingly stunning—just look at all that intricate lacework! Blanchett, whose turn as Jasmine Francis inBlue Jasminewon her the Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Drama,managed to look both covered-up and sensuous at the same time; I especially love the beautifully detailed high neck and subtly flared skirt. Young women and older women alike, take notes—this is how you do lace in a classy way.

Julie Bowen

Julie Bowenin Carolina Herrera

Modern Family's Julie Bowen hasn't been getting much love from other observers of this years Golden Globes' style, but I applaud her for wearing a dress that stood out in a sea of close-fitting black gowns.Crimson and plum may not be the most intuitive color pairing, but Bowen'sCarolina Herrera gown, with its adorable puff sleeves, mixed textures, and flattering trumpet shape,shows us just how beautiful the combination can be.

Emilia Clarke

Emilia Clarkein Proenza Schouler

I will freely admit that Daenerys Targaryen, whom Emilia Clarke plays onGame of Thrones, is my favorite character from the show, but I would have given Clarke a place on my best-dressed list even if she weren’t. Her Proenza Schouler gown may not seem that exciting at first, but a closer look reveals not one but two delightful prints; together, they look like funky (but chic) animal stripes. The lowest of the beautifully structured layers opens at the bottom into a tasteful slit.

Caitlin FitzGerald

Caitlin FitzGeraldin Emilia Wickstead

Master ofSex'sCaitlin FitzGerald wore a look straight from the Emilia Wickstead Spring 2014 runway, down to the cheeky striped ankle-strap heels, and it absolutely worked. The high-fashion high-low dress was a refreshing sky blue and also featured a fun textured knit; I loved how the front of her dress draped and then trailed off into a train. The salmon shades FitzGerald chose for her lips and her clutch echoed the creamsicle-colored stripes in her shoes and complemented the blue.

Lupita Nyong'o

Lupita Nyong'oin Ralph Lauren Collection

Lupita Nyong'o, of Best Drama-winning12 Years a Slavefame, wore aRalph Lauren Collection dress that reminded me of theTom Ford numberGwyneth Paltrow woreto the Oscars in 2012. The dress-and-cape combination is clearly an appealing one, as Paltrow's choice also landed her on a number of best-dressed lists; the vivid tomato red color and off-the-shoulder neckline of Nyong'o's gown, however, makes it even more exciting. Accessorized with a darker red lip and simple diamond jewelry, the dress makes look Nyong'o radiant.

WORST-DRESSED

Paula Patton

Paula Pattonin Stephane Rolland

Let us begin by saying that Paula Patton, actress and wife of singer Robin Thicke, has a banging body, so it's perfectly understandable that she would want to show it off in a snug white dress. I wish, however, that her Stephane Rolland dress had been a little less frothy; as it is now, itlooks kind of like a baker went overboard while piping the frosting onto a cake. Her satin platform pumps do not help the situation.

Julia Roberts

Julia Robertsin Dolce & Gabbana

Julia Roberts still looks fabulous at 46, but she seems to have let her age unduly influence her pick for Golden Globes gown. Her Dolce & Gabbana dress makes her look matronly; cut off part of the floor-length skirt and buff away some of the shininess of her belt, and she would fit right in at the headquarters of a corporate bank. Roberts should have taken a sartorial cue from fellow nominee Cate Blanchett, 44, who landed a spot on our best-dressed list.

Zoe Saldana

Zoe Saldanain Prabal Gurung

This look could have made its way onto my best-dressed list—I love a good mix of textures, and the dramatic neckline emphasizes how toned Zoe Saldana's shoulders look—but there is just one too many things going on with this Prabal Gurung dress. Maybe if the bedazzled pink strap weren’t looped like a seatbelt across Saldana’s chest, everything would have come together more nicely. The not-quite-nude pumps that look just slightly too large are also a bit of head-scratching choice.