EP-709279884

Despite the lead's uncanny resemblance to the actress turned thief Winona Ryder, the only thing the Becca Stevens Band will steal from you is the helplessness of the week and replace it with joy and relaxation as you soar on the ether of her delicate voice and music knowhow. I mostly just wanted to say ether, but come to Terrace on Thursday to check them out.

(Well, first, here is a pic of Winona and here is a pic of Becca. It may just be me.)

Like one of Terrace’s returning favorites MOMS, the Becca Stevens Band met during the ol’ college life at The New School for Jazz and Contemporary Music in New York. Liam Robinson hollers at that accordion, keys, and vocals. Chris Tordini does the sometimes-funky, sometimes-jazzy, sometimes-something else bass and vocals. Jordan Perlson bangs on things. And, of course, Becca primarily sings and plays stringed things like the guitar and ukulele.

home04

The band has two albums out. The first, Tea By Sea, came out in 2008, and the second, Weightless, came out in 2011. The former is on Spotify if you want to check it out.

Becca Stevens and her bros are hardly a cover band, but Weightless includes covers of jams like “There Is A Light That Never Goes Out” by The Smiths, “Kiss from a Rose” by the Seal himself, “My Girls” by Animal Collective, and “Each Coming Night” by Iron &Wine. Jams fasho.

Ch-ch-check out this jazzy rendition of The Smiths:

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lNeag92Jy4&list=PL760E8709CFF78EA0]

But wait, they have also covered Usher.

So, well, they like covering, but their cover choices are prime.

Weightless also includes eight original songs, or as reviewers have called them, compositions. Indeed, the Becca Stevens Band plays more than just three chords. They play real, legit music based in jazz but that also throws in some indie folk, singer-songwriter tender, and blues. Characteristics include airy , layered male-female vocals and accordion (da best). The band also throws in some nice dissident minor keys that just get me jazzed. (Get it, like they all come from a jazz background. Haha.) During the track "In The Midst," it's almost as if Becca is going to start singing a broadway musical anthem, butthen she starts doing some scat thangs in “Off The Chart.” For comparison’s sake, I am going to say she is a mash-up folk duo Ari and Mia and Esperanza Spalding.

So come one, come all, to the Terrace F Club on Thursday night at 11PM. It will be a change from the bumpin’ afro-beat and the pumpin’ womp womp womp, but this is real music. Chilled out, beautiful, and will not make your ears bleed by the end of the evening. Unless you have Ebola. (Bad joke?) Who knows what they will cover? I am hoping Grimes, Kanye, and Mozart'sRequiem in D Minor.

Here is the music video for their track “Weightless.” Very nice songwriting and features jazzy accordion.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk_qfA9YIxg]