USG updates budget, initiative for improved event accessibility

Patio with orange and purple umbrellas over metal tables and chairs.
South Lawn of Frist Campus Center, home of the USG.
Abby de Riel / The Daily Princetonian

The Undergraduate Student Government (USG) Senate convened on Sunday, April 7 for a Budget update and to discuss efforts to improve event accessibility for disabled students.

AccessAbility Center Fellow Katie Daniels ’26 led a presentation on student voice, accessibility, and disability, delving into the details of various AccessAbility Center initiatives. Daniels outlined ongoing efforts, including research collaboration on disabilities and hosting spotlight talks with professors. 

Daniels explained that the center is aiming to enhance event accessibility for students with disabilities, and might possibly provide a brief training to USG members to foster inclusivity with regards to event accommodations.

“One of the largest things we’ve been co-working on is trying to make it so that events are more inclusive for students with disabilities,” Daniels said, noting a focus on familiarizing people in leadership positions with accessibility protocols. “We want to be that support system for you all so that you can feel included equally.”

Treasurer Uma Fox ’26 provided a budget update, addressing fund allocations for travel, wellness programming, and local arts experiences. With an enlarged budget, the USG is navigating allocation strategies, decreasing funds for athletics and travel in light of the close of basketball’s March Madness run and other Princeton athletics seasons. Currently, there is around $20,000 allocated for athletics, around $8,000 for wellness programming, and around $19,000 for local arts experiences. Reflections on the budget process emphasized ongoing communication with the Projects Board and opportunities for increased dialogue. 

“I’m really looking forward to our initial conversation for the summer and considering what the future projects look like,” Fox said. 

Campus and Community Affairs (CCA) Committee Chair Genevieve Shutt ’26 presented a CCA budget request of around $4,000, detailing funding requests for two events. One will be hosted by Students for Prison Education, Abolition and Reform, and the other is a trip to Princeton Lavender Farm. Both requests received unanimous approval.

Additionally, the Senate conducted a vote to approve new student groups green lit by the Student Groups Recognition Committee (SGRC), which included Princeton Chamber Music Collective, TigerTalk, B'Artzeinu, Princeton for Ethical Medicine, Princeton Club Lift, Ebru (Water Marbling) Club, Medicine and Media Club, and Seabird Writing Conference: Princeton Chapter. There were no motions to overturn, so the vote automatically passed.

However, the SGRC did reject two groups in their preliminary selection process: The Canterbury Society at Princeton and Ratio Christi. According to the SGRC, the “clubs were not approved because the SGRC recommended they speak with the Office of Religious Life before moving forward.”

Furthermore, U-Councilor Roberto Lachner ’26 was nominated and confirmed as a new addition to the Projects Board. This nomination offers the potential for increased Senate engagement during summer discussions and coordination on matters related to funding allocations and event planning. Despite two abstentions, the majority of Senate members approved Lachner’s nomination.

The USG meetings are open for all students to attend and are held on Sundays from 4 to 5 p.m., typically in Robertson Hall 016. This week’s meeting was held in Frist Campus Center 302, as will the next meeting on Sunday, April 14.

Alena Zhang is a staff News writer for the ‘Prince.’