Two officers terminated in first consequential DPS disciplinary report

A stone building with large letters above the doorway spelling, “200 Elm Drive”
200 Elm Drive, where the Department of Public safety is headquartered.
Tiffany Tsai / The Daily Princetonian

For the first time since its introduction, the 2023 Major Disciplinary Action Report by the Department of Public Safety (DPS) listed disciplinary actions against three officers, including two terminations and one suspension.

The University began publishing these reports in 2021 in accordance with the New Jersey Attorney General Guidelines for Internal Affairs, AG Directive 2022-14, which established that “certain categories of discipline will always require disclosure.”

Officer Paul Krzewinski’s employment with DPS was terminated following two incidents. The report states that the severity of the discipline is based on “several sustained complaints against the officer within the previous twelve-month period.”

According to his LinkedIn, Krzewinski was employed with DPS from May 2005 to June 2023. Following his termination, he started a job as a Security Professional with Main Line Protection Services in July 2023.

Krzewinski did not reply to multiple requests for comment.

In February 2023, Krzewinski was dispatched to address a suspicious person complaint in reference to a student-aged, Black male who left his bag on the ground while using the restroom. 

The report claims that the student “begrudgingly produced” his University ID card after Krzewinski asked for it. “As the officer began to write down the student’s information, the student snatched his ID back from the officer and stated he did not feel he should be a part of any report,” the report states. “As the student attempted to walk away the officer grabbed the student by the arm, preventing him from leaving and detaining him to get his name.”

Krzewinski’s actions, the report holds, were in violation of policy, as there was not any reasonable suspicion present.

During the same month, Krzewinski was dispatched to address a suspicious person complaint in a parking lot on University Place concerning an individual who had been idling in the lot for over a week. In response, Krzewinski drove past the person’s vehicle two times and checked the vehicle’s registration. “The officer never approached the driver and took no further action,” the report states.

Krzewinski’s failure to investigate a call for service, in conjunction with his other violation, resulted in his termination. 

Previously, Krzewinski had been suspended for seven days without pay and given training for a similar “neglect of duty” complaint. After Krzewinski and at least one other officer were dispatched to a dormitory building “concerning a report of a female yelling, ‘I cannot breathe,’” the officers interviewed both parties and left without taking any action. 

The report holds that Krzewinski and others involved in the incident violated policy by failing to make a mandatory arrest where the woman involved had a visible sign of injury. 

Sergeant Luke Miller was suspended for 10 days without pay in connection to the same dorm incident.  

“Miller had a duty to make sure that the incident was handled properly but did not complete this task, which left a victim of domestic violence in a vulnerable state,” the report reads.

As of February 2024, Miller is no longer employed by DPS according to his LinkedIn. Additionally, his name no longer appears on the DPS website

The other reported major disciplinary action involved an incident between two officers on patrol, resulting in Officer Brandon Delaney’s termination. 

While riding on patrol with another officer in March 2023, Delaney, a white male, “used a racial epithet commonly understood to be derogatory toward African Americans,” while speaking with a Black officer. 

Delaney was terminated for violation of workplace harassment policy and for unsatisfactory performance during a probationary period.

Delaney’s LinkedIn states that he was employed by DPS for 8 months, from September 2022 to April 2023. Following this dismissal, Delaney served as a traffic controller for Traffic Management, Inc. from August 2023 to October 2023. He currently works as a Life Security/Security Communications Specialist for JLL.

The ’Prince’ was unable to reach Miller or Delaney for comment.

DPS began publishing these Disciplinary Action Reports in 2021, and in both the 2021 and 2022 reports, no instances of disciplinary action are listed.

When asked if DPS identified any reason why 2023 saw an increase in disciplinary action, University Spokesperson Jennifer Morrill wrote in a statement to The Daily Princetonian, “DPS did not discover any trends leading to the reported disciplinary action.”

Isabel Yip is a senior News writer for the ‘Prince.’