Five campus spaces to explore for midterms

whitman_angel_kuo_2023_3.jpeg
Corridor of Whitman College.
Angel Kuo / The Daily Princetonian

There are Firestone loyalists who, year-round, prefer the six-level behemoth that serves as the University library system’s headquarters. However, when exam season comes, hordes of Princetonians overtake the stacks. Everyone wants to “lock-in” on their work, and popular study spaces may often be occupied by the time you arrive. Luckily, campus is full of other places where you can get your work done without having to battle over the last cubicle. Here are five spots where you can finish those midterm papers and p-sets.

Neuroscience Lounge on the A Level

The lounge on the A level of the neuroscience building is a great spot down-campus to study peacefully. This is near the other STEM buildings, such as Frick Laboratory, McDonnell Hall, and Jadwin Hall, which allows for convenient travel if you want to do some studying in between classes or meetings. The lower levels of the neuroscience building do not usually experience heavy foot traffic, so it is more geared towards students who prefer silence but are not particularly bothered by occasional chatter. The tables are smaller, making the space more suited for students who carry around fewer materials for studying and doing work. 

Choi Dining Hall

new colleges angel kuo (5).jpeg

Choi Dining Hall.

Angel Kuo / The Daily Princetonian

Yeh and NCW have the only dining hall on campus where the entire seating area is open to all, even during meal times, regardless of meal plan status. This space is versatile because, while it can get crowded during peak hours, there is a relatively quiet atmosphere in the early morning and after dinner. If you enjoy the bustle of people, there will always be chatter during mealtimes. If you prefer a quiet space, going before breakfast or after dinner will allow you to have a large space with minimal distractions. For students with several screens or books, the abundance of long tables enables you to spread them out. There are plenty of wide-spanning glass panes for those who like natural light and a bit of people watching as they work.

Whitman Library

Unlike Firestone, this library will never be at capacity, being a largely-overlooked residential college library. While the previous two study spots have plenty of light, Whitman library offers no windows and rests behind three sets of heavy brown doors. Because of this, the only way to know the time is by checking your mobile device or laptop. However, there are minimal distractions in the quiet atmosphere. Despite the lack of natural lighting, the desk lights allow you to customize how much light you want to shine upon you. If you want to hide away for a couple of hours without being found, this is a great place to go to. If you do need a study break and a snack, the Whitman dining hall is only a courtyard away.

School of Architecture

architecture_jean shin.jpeg
Architecture Building.
Jean Shin / The Daily Princetonian

Located in front of Frist Center, the School of Architecture is an unassuming building that is a hidden gem with its central location on campus and many study spaces. This space is best after classes have ended. Whether you want lively chatter or a quiet zone, this place has it all. The lounge offers natural light, while some of the classrooms do not do so quite as much. The location offers easy access to food and snacks, with late meal nearby in Frist Center. You don’t need to be an architecture student to enjoy the building’s amenities and all its nooks and crannies, where you can get those assignments completed.

New South Basement

As the home of the Writing Center, New South provides a convenient location for those who want to work on their paper, inspired by the ideas generated during an appointment at the Writing Center. For those who prefer an isolated spot, this is the place. There are two lounges with an assortment of different chairs and couches for both working and power naps. Very few students use this space, which will provide a high degree of privacy. There is a classroom near the lounge, which may be in use during the daytime. However, it never gets too loud and remains a great place for those who enjoy a quieter setting. 

Midterms are a busy time, but finding a new study spot may both be an adventure and an opportunity to discover a new productive work space. Check out some of these campus study spots if you are looking for a break from Firestone!

Donaji Mendieta-Silva (she/they) is a member of the Class of 2026 and is a contributing writer for The Prospect at the ‘Prince.’ They can be reached at dm4466@princeton.edu or on Instagram @donaji_ms.