USG allocates funding and approves upcoming Midterms Celebration Trip

A man in a denim jacket wearing a fedora gives a presentation.
USG President Avi Attar ’25 outlines the agenda for Sunday's USG meeting.
Ryan Konarska / The Daily Princetonian

The Undergraduate Student Government (USG) Senate convened for its third meeting of the spring semester on Sunday, Feb. 25, confirming funding for requests presented to the Projects Board and an upcoming midterms celebration trip.

In a series of funding allocations, the Senate approved financial support for several student organizations. The Princeton Ethiopian and Eritrean Students Association (PEESA), Taiwanese American Students Association (TASA), Center for Jewish Life (CJL), Princeton University Wind Ensemble (PUWE), and E-Club received approval for funding.

PEESA secured funding for their upcoming Adwa celebration scheduled for March 3. TASA received financial support for two upcoming events: a documentary screening on April 12 and the TASA Night Market on April 13, which features Asian cuisine and performance groups.

The CJL received financial backing for their Middle Eastern Jewish Alliance Intercultural Shabbat and Hamantaschen on March 21, while E-Club secured funding for their upcoming HackPrinceton event from March 29 to March 31. The PUWE was also granted funding for additional music equipment and their spring concert.

Campus and Community Affairs (CCA) Chair Genevieve Shutt ’26 proposed a midterms celebration trip scheduled for Friday, March 8. The proposal received unanimous approval from the Senate, securing $2,933.35 for a trip to Hudson Yards in New York to visit the Edge observation deck and have dinner.

“It’s really just a place for students to come together and explore New York, especially for students who aren’t able to travel or aren’t able to leave,” she explained.

This is the second trip the Senate has approved funding for this year. At the USG’s first meeting, U-Councilor Isabella Shutt ’24 received funding for a trip to lead a group to see a play in Trenton.

During the meeting, two presentations were given: one from Shutt and another from Tommy Guan ’25 from the Princeton Student Veterans organization. 

Guan presented on the unique challenges faced by veterans on campus. He emphasized the organization’s role in creating a supportive community and stressed the need for resources in areas such as childcare to assist veterans in navigating university life successfully.

“I always like to say yes, [combat is] stressful, but Princeton is actually more stressful, and I don’t say that as a joke. It’s really true, it’s just a different type of stress,” Guan said.

“No matter what the experience of a veteran [is], they’re always going to have that struggle of adjusting to a different lifestyle, a different type of pressure, a different type of hard work. And that challenge, although it’s always going to be there, I think it can be lessened, or at least helped along quicker, so veterans can make that transition quicker. What we want is for veterans to succeed here,” he added. 

Shutt gave a presentation titled “Senate Mapping & Your Constitutional Powers,” which underscored the importance of policy advocacy on campus and outlined the paths to achieving policy change in Princeton. Shutt outlined various actions that Senate members could take to influence change within the University, such as proposing budget changes, reviewing faculty curriculum decisions, and suggesting constitutional amendments.

“When it comes to university policy we have very little direct authority, but we have a lot of connection to people up here where we can give voice to people down here,” said Shutt.

USG President Avi Attar’s ’25 recent engagements included meetings with Campus Recreation for potential partnerships and discussions on disciplinary processes with Vice President for Campus Life W. Rochelle Calhoun.

USG meetings are open for all students to attend and are held on Sundays from 4 to 5 p.m. in Robertson Hall 016.

Alena Zhang is a staff News writer for the ‘Prince.’