New ‘drunk meal’ food truck will hit the streets Sept. 21

A campus dining worker hands a student some food from the orange and black-colored campus food trucks.
A student at a campus dining food truck.
Photo courtesy of Princeton University Office of Communications, Ryan Maguire (2016)

Students searching for late-night meal options will soon have a new place to go during midnight study breaks or nights out on Prospect Avenue: the Campus Dining food truck. Starting on Thursday, Sept. 21, Campus Dining will open the food truck on the north side of the McCosh Health Center from 11 p.m. to 3 a.m. on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. 

Ahmad Rizvi, the Media Relations Specialist in the Office of Communications, said that this was part of “Campus Dining’s continuing effort to expand late-night dining options.” According to Rizvi, students can expect the food to be similar to what is typically served at the Frist Gallery. The truck will also offer a weekly special, and students will be able to pay for the food with credit cards, Paw Points, and Dining Points.

The food truck’s menu will be an extension of what is currently being served at the Frist Gallery: chicken tenders, fries, burgers, gyros, samosa chaat, and mozzarella sticks to name a few of the offerings, along with a weekly special, and assorted beverages and desserts.

Another change to late-night dining this year is that the Frist Campus Center will close at 2 a.m. nightly. This means that Saturday’s late-night menu, commonly referred to as “drunk meal,” will also now close at 2 a.m. rather than at 3 a.m. Studio ’34 will also be open Wednesday through Sunday from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m. After 2 a.m., the food truck will be the only Campus Dining option. 

Eating club events on Prospect Avenue typically run from 11 p.m. to 2 a.m.

Wawa, located adjacent to the train station at the bottom of campus, remains open 24/7, but late-night dining in the town of Princeton is relatively scarce post-pandemic. Hoagie Haven, once a popular destination for students seeking sustenance in the wee hours of the morning after a night of partying, now closes at midnight on Fridays and Saturdays and 10 p.m. the rest of the week.

Leila Granier ’26 said that she’s really excited for the food truck, predicting that it will be especially helpful for students who choose to go out on weekend nights. Referencing the crowding that sometimes occurs during “drunk meal” in the Frist Gallery, Granier added that she thinks “the food truck will spread people [out] more and make [late-night dining] less chaotic.” 

Madeline Miller ’26 said that although she is not worried about the change in hours for the Frist Gallery, she is concerned that there may be “long lines that would come with this new [food truck] service.” 

Isha Wagle ’26 noted that she wishes information about Campus Dining, such as the food truck addition and the expansion of late meal hours, was more publicized.

Jeannie Kim is a staff News writer for the ‘Prince.’

Please send corrections to corrections[at]dailyprincetonian.com.