Giberson ’23 pleads not guilty to 6 violations of U.S. Code in connection to Capitol riot

Capitol building
The Capitol Building 
Jonathan Ort / The Daily Princetonian

Larry Giberson ’23 pleaded not guilty in his arraignment hearing at 1 p.m. on Tuesday. Giberson, who called into the arraignment hearing from campus, was arrested on March 14 for his alleged involvement in the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021. He was indicted by a grand jury on six violations of the U.S. code on April 5.

Giberson has previously confirmed to the FBI that he was the individual identified in the photographs of him at the Capitol on Jan. 6.

During the arraignment, Giberson was read the six violations of the U.S. Code that he has been indicted by grand jury for, including civil disorder, engaging in physical violence in a restricted building or grounds, disorderly and disruptive conduct in a restricted building or grounds, and impeding passage through the Capitol Grounds. 

Assistant United States Attorney Stephen Rancourt represented the U.S. government in the trial. Attorney Charles Burnham represented Giberson. Judge Carl J. Nichols presided. 

Updating Judge Nichols, Rancourt said that discovery, which involves the materials and evidence the prosecution plans to use in its case against the defendant, will be provided to Burnham by next Wednesday at the latest. 

Rancourt requested to schedule a status conference in 60 days. During these 60 days, the prosecution and the defense will attempt to negotiate a plea deal. At the status conference in June, they will decide whether or not they will proceed to trial.

Rancourt said at the hearing that he has been working on Giberson’s case since last fall.

According to the DOJ, images and videos from Jan. 6 show Giberson and a group of rioters at the Capitol on Jan. 6 coordinating a “‘heave-ho’ pushing effort” in an attempt to weave their way into the Capitol. At the tunnel, one Capitol police officer was dragged into the crowd. The DOJ states Giberson started chanting “Drag them out!” and cheered as weapons and pepper spray were used on Capitol police officers in the tunnel.

Burnham declined to comment on Giberson’s plea of not guilty.

12 minutes after the hearing, Giberson was present in his ten-person seminar on religious existentialism at 1:30 p.m.

This piece is breaking and will be updated as more information becomes available.

Eden Teshome is head Podcast editor and a senior News contributor for the ‘Prince.’

Julian Hartman-Sigall is an assistant News editor at the ‘Prince.’

Please send corrections to corrections[at]dailyprincetonian.com