Letter to the Editor: The CJL’s dining hall is open to all

A building with trees and a lamppost in the foreground.

The Center for Jewish Life.

The following is a letter to the editor and reflects the authors views alone. For information on how to submit a letter to the Opinion Section, click here.

We are so grateful that Princeton University offers full-service kosher dining to students at the Center for Jewish Life (CJL) — and our hall is open to all Princeton students.

The dining hall at CJL reflects Princeton’s unique approach to diversity and inclusion. Kosher and religiously observant students’ needs are not met in isolation, but as part of the University’s broader commitment to building relationships among students with diverse religious and cultural identities. This also supports CJL’s commitment to creating an environment that fosters dialogue across difference.

That’s why we welcome all students to CJL, and encourage them to eat with us. We hope they find both great food and a warm community inside our walls.

We know that there are long lines this semester with the closure of Butler Dining Hall. We appreciate your understanding as we continue to work with the University to make the dining experience at CJL as positive as ever.

Rabbi Gil Steinlauf is the Executive Director of the Center for Jewish Life, Princeton Hillel. He is also the Jewish Chaplain at Princeton University. He can be reached by email at rabbi@princeton.edu.