University Title IX Administrator Regan Crotty ’00 to depart position

nassau n 1 Mark Dodici _ DP.JPG
Nassau Hall.
Mark Dodici / The Daily Princetonian

Regan Crotty ’00, who has served as the Director of Gender Equity and Title IX Administration since 2014, is leaving her position this month, University Spokesperson Michael Hotchkiss told The Daily Princetonian.

“Regan Crotty has accepted a position as assistant general counsel for a leading global law firm. A search is underway for her successor,” Hotchkiss wrote. “Randy Hubert is serving as interim director for the office”

As of Saturday, Nov. 12, Crotty’s page on the Sexual Misconduct and Title IX website had been replaced. 

“Students with an ongoing matter with the Title IX Office were notified that Regan was leaving and that Randy Hubert would be the point person going forward,” Hotchkiss said.

Hubert previously worked as a University Investigator through the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students (ODUS).

Both Crotty and Hubert declined to provide comment to the ‘Prince’ for this story. 

Crotty became the University’s inaugural Title IX administrator shortly after the University was found to be in violation of Title IX by the U.S. Department of Education in 2014 for “failing to adopt and publish grievance procedures that provide for the prompt and equitable resolution of student complaints of sex discrimination/harassment, including sexual assault” and for failing “to respond appropriately to complaints of sexual assault.” 

In April 2019, Title IX student protests arose on campus in the wake of the University taking disciplinary action against a student who graffitied “Title IX Protects Rapists” on University walkways. The University fined the student $2,723. The protesters claimed that the University’s punishment was overly harsh.

Crotty became one of the targets of the protest, with the student organization Princeton Students for Title IX Reform (PIXR) initially calling for her immediate dismissal. They later amended these demands to call for a review of her actions. PIXR held a 200-hour long protest outside Nassau Hall.

Michele Minter, Vice Provost for Institutional Equity and Diversity, reflected on Crotty’s time in the position in a written statement to the ‘Prince.’

“She has led the development and evolution of the policies, handled interactions with the Office for Civil Rights in the U.S. Department of Education, overseen annual reporting, led training for all campus populations as well as organized online training, and managed committees and the WeSpeak survey,” she told the ‘Prince.’ “Most importantly, she has led processes that have responded to campus parties with empathy, fairness and high standards.” 

PIXR co-founder Tori Gorton ’21 reflected on Hubert’s interim appointment to the position, writing, “For both Ms. Hubert and the subsequent person to fill these roles, we also hope that the University will implement annual external reviews of their adjudication practices and decision making which involves consulting the community members they interact with.”

Crotty, an alumna herself, previously served as the Director of Student Life of Wilson College from 2012 to 2014. She also has held roles at the University as an investigator and in the Office of the Vice President for Campus Life, according to her LinkedIn page.

Editor’s Note: This piece has been updated as of Nov. 17, 7:45 p.m. to include comment from Vice Provost Michele Minter and further comment from University spokesperson Michael Hotchkiss.

Olivia Sanchez is a news contributor for the Prince.

Please send any corrections to corrections at dailyprincetonian.com.