Weekly recap: women’s lacrosse falls to Stony Brook, men’s lacrosse defeats Brown, track and field sets more records

water polo .jpeg
Women’s water polo defeated Mount St. Mary’s  but fell to No. 7 Michigan.
@PWaterPolo/Twitter.

Women’s lacrosse vs. Stony Brook 

In week seven of the season, the 11th-ranked Tigers’ (6–2 overall, 1–0 Ivy League) matchup against No. 5 Stony Brook (8–2, 1–0 American East) ended with the Tigers down 16–8. Despite a strong season so far, Princeton’s loss to the Seawolves marked their second consecutive defeat and brought them down one spot to No. 12 in the national rankings. The Seawolves came out hot, leading the game with a 7–0 run that lasted until the end of the second quarter. Senior attack Kyla Sears scored the Tigers’ first goal, but Princeton wasn’t able to build momentum. Midway through the final quarter, the Seawolves pulled ahead with a 10-goal advantage. Despite a two-goal run in the final minutes from Princeton, they were only able to cut the deficit to eight. 

Tigers will take on Brown on Saturday, April 9 for their second conference matchup of the season. 

Check out this article for a full recap of the game against Stony Brook. 

Men’s lacrosse vs. Brown 

On Saturday afternoon, No. 6 Princeton (6–2 overall, 1–0 Ivy League) defeated the Brown Bears (5 –4, 0–2) by a score of 17–9. With this win, the Tigers moved up to third place from sixth in national rankings. While the Bears were the first to score, Princeton was determined to take home the win after a loss against Yale just the weekend prior. An early 4–0 run from Princeton pulled them ahead by three with the Tigers maintaining their advantage, answering every Brown goal with one of their own. In the third quarter, Princeton took charge with a 6–0 run, with four of these goals coming from star junior attack Alex Slusher. The Bears had no way of turning the game around in their favor, leaving the Tigers with an impressive 17–9 victory. 

The Tigers will be hosting Marist on Sherrerd Field this Tuesday, April 5. 

Check out this article for a full recap of the win against Brown. 

Track and field at the Sam Howell Invitational 

Breaking records seem to be routine for the Princeton track and field team. 

This past weekend, the Tigers hosted the Sam Howell Invitational at the Weaver Track Stadium. The women’s team set two top-10 records in program history. Sophomore sprinter and jumper Nia Mosby ran a time of 55.70 seconds in the 400 meters — the eighth-best time in the Tiger record books. Sophomore jumper Liliana Cohen tied for ninth all-time in the pole vault with 3.75 meters. The women’s team will travel to Florida for the Miami Hurricane Alumni Invitational this weekend, April 8–9. 

The nationally-ranked No. 8 men’s team saw success as well. Five new top-10 marks were set, including a new school record in the discus throw from senior thrower Robbie Otal with a distance of 61.71 meters. Senior distance runner Kevin Berry won the 10,000m with a time of 28:55.31, putting him second in all-time school history. Sophomore distance runner Anthony Monte followed in third all-time with 28:56.38, senior distance runner Matt Grossman in fourth all-time with 28:56.68, and junior middle distance runner Josh Zelek in eighth all-time with 29:05.99. The men’s team will travel to Fairfax, Va. for the Mason Spring Invitational on Saturday, April 9. 

Women’s water polo vs. Harvard, Mount St. Mary’s, Michigan  

In a three-game weekend, the No. 19 Tigers (18–7 overall, 7–2 Collegiate Water Polo Association) took on No. 22 Harvard (17–5, 5–2) on Saturday, April 2 followed by a double-header against Mount St. Mary’s (8–22, 1–11) and No. 7 Michigan (20–8, 8–0) on Sunday, April 3. 

In the first game of the weekend, the Harvard Crimson claimed a 10–8 victory over the Tigers. Harvard started strong with a two-goal advantage, but Princeton responded with a 4–0 run. Despite holding the lead in the first quarter, the Tigers fell behind by three, putting the score at 7–4 as the two teams headed into halftime. Despite their scoring efforts, Princeton continued to trail the Crimson. 

Sunday’s game against Mount St. Mary’s saw better results for the Tigers with a 14–6 win. Princeton took an early lead from the start. While the Mountaineers managed to cut a three goal deficit to one, Princeton held the lead until the very end. 

The matchup against Michigan was a different story. Despite taking the lead in the first quarter, a 4–0 run from the Wolverines left the Tigers trailing. While Princeton was able to narrow their opponent’s lead to two goals, they could not tie the game. Michigan’s offense pulled ahead five goals by the end of the final quarter, claiming a 16–11 win. 

The Tigers will take on Harvard once again on Saturday, April 9 in Cambridge, Mass.  

Julia Nguyen is a co-head editor for the Sports section at the ‘Prince’ who usually covers the weekly recaps. She can be reached at trucn@princeton.edu or on Instagram at @jt.nguyen.