Princeton revises winter break housing guidelines

Dorms near newsroom

Students participating in the Continuous Housing program and select student athletes will be allowed to stay on campus during the upcoming winter break, according to an email sent out to all undergraduate students by Dean of the College Jill Dolan and Vice President for Campus Life Rochelle Calhoun.

The Oct. 29 memo explained that “prox access to campus dormitories will be removed beginning Thursday, December 23 at noon. Prox access to dorm rooms will be restored beginning on Friday, January 7, 2022” for students who are not part of the aforementioned program.

All undergraduate students who live in Family Housing, are part of the Transfer Program, have “high financial need or identity-based concerns that make it impossible to secure alternative housing,” or have been declared independent for the purposes of financial aid are eligible for the Continuous Housing program.

This new procedure differs from previous years. Prior to 2019, no registration or application was necessary to remain on campus over winter break. In 2019, any student could register on a winter break housing portal in order to remain on campus.

This year, eligible students must apply for the program through the Princeton Service Portal. The portal will remain open until Friday, Nov. 19 at 5 p.m. Both students currently living in Family Housing and those previously authorized for Continuous Housing are expected to register online.

“The form itself seems strict and inconvenient for no good reason,“ said Marlon Escobar ’23, a student who previously stayed on campus during the break. “I guess the University has something in mind regarding Covid testing or even staffing for the meal plan they're going to have, but having restrictions like this just seems unfriendly.”

Dolan and Calhoun specified that students participating in varsity athletics competitions over the break are not required to apply through the portal but should make the necessary arrangements through communication with their coaches.

Students registered for the program will not have to pay for the accommodation and will have access to a meal program.

“All students who remain on campus this winter break will be expected to continue to participate in the regular asymptomatic testing program and abide by all University public health policies (i.e., face coverings, guests, travel, etc.),” Dolan and Calhoun wrote.

Winter break will begin on Dec. 22, 2021 and end on Jan. 8, 2022. The break will be followed by Wintersession, which spans Monday, Jan. 10, 2022 to Sunday, Jan. 23, 2022. Spring-term classes will begin the following Monday.

Tara Agarwal is a news contributor for The Daily Princetonian. She can be reached at ta3150@princeton.edu.

Associate News Editor Bharvi Chavre contributed reporting.